Sign in to follow this  
savagman

Mushroom foragers

I ran into guys in Greer area picking mushrooms.  Obviously dangerous hobby for the uneducated.  Any mushroom guys out there?  I would like to learn and join a group, take classes, etc.  Any tips, leads, or contact info appreciated.

I got rejected by a group because I’m on social media. Those guys are worse than fisherman with information. I have several books and a few spots but hardly do any picking due to fear. 

Yikes - I guess that makes sense.  Guys on here react strongly to anyone asking for information...

Guy I talked to near Greer told a story of an entire family that needed Kidney transplants due to misidentification.  I don't want Toad's wild ride or failing organs,  I just hope to find someone or a group willing to teach.  Not honey holes just solid identification and look alike information specific to AZ.  With all this rain, the forest is littered with shrooms

• Like 1

Shrooms are $3.99 a lb at Albertsons.  No tripping or kidney transplants .  Fudat gambling on good shroom,  bad shroom crap.

• Like 2

My father retired as a renowned Botanist. He studied shrooms for awhile and decided the subtle differences between good and deadly were just that ..... subtle. 

Last weekend I pulled out a truck stuck in the mud near big lake. Two men, some tie dye going on. Offered to pay me in the mushrooms they had just picked and were very excited about.

I declined. I have not heard of the really bad ones in AZ. The pacific northwest is a different story. 

Both psilocybes and deadly varieties of mushroom exist in Arizona. Without a mycologist and an electron microscope, I would stick to the edibles without deadly look-alikes. Learn how to identify hen of the woods, shaggy manes and giant puffballs. All three are delicious and can be found here. If you are working on your identification skills, look up how to do a spore print. It will get you started on sorting through the look-alikes, but should NEVER be used as an edible guarantee. 

Most mushrooms without spores are edible. Have eaten puffers and lobster mushrooms from az.

I have taken mushrooms and it was pretty awesome. In fact I think I need to go on a another trip and sort some stuff out. Been thinking of smoking a toad. Lots of them out right now 

31 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I have taken mushrooms and it was pretty awesome. In fact I think I need to go on a another trip and sort some stuff out. Been thinking of smoking a toad. Lots of them out right now 

Third eye

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Heat said:

Not one of the best varieties but this Slippery Jack is edible.

20210904_153129.jpg

20210904_153109.jpg

Yep, that is the one and only mushroom that I have picked and eaten here in AZ.  Very easy to identify and safe to eat, plus there are tons around....   A friend who initially showed me them is from Russia (immigrated 25+ years ago) and said they call them 'Oily Mushrooms' there, based on the film on the top.  Obviously the same reason they are called Slippery Jacks, here. ;) 

• Thanks 1

My cousin and his soon to be ex wife are/were really into it. I should have been learning this stuff a long time ago but never too late. I can identify boletes, lobsters, chanterelles, and of course morels.