Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Unit 9 help

Hey guys me and a friend got unit 9 for the first week of November. Wanted to ask what to expect from this hunt. I hear people say it's this amazing place while I hear that it is also not very good either. Just wanted to know what to expect on this hunt. As well as road conditions on the west side of the 64 too! Thank you!

You should have fun but it will be a lot different from your tag last year.  You probably passed a lots of bucks last year that you wouldn’t pass on in unit 9. JMHO. 

6 minutes ago, Millhouse said:

You should have fun but it will be a lot different from your tag last year.  You probably passed a lots of bucks last year that you wouldn’t pass on in unit 9. JMHO. 

Yeah. I was more than spoiled! Would it be wise to shoot the first buck I see? Or my first 4x4 even?

Unit 9 has big bucks. I’ve seen some bigguns on elk hunts.   It’s thick, glassing is tough.   Pickiness is up to you. I’m not real picky, almost all mature bucks I have seen in  unit 9, I would drop on day one.  That’s IF I could get a tag. Your luck in drawing is unnatural. 

21 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Unit 9 has big bucks. I’ve seen some bigguns on elk hunts.   It’s thick, glassing is tough.   Pickiness is up to you. I’m not real picky, almost all mature bucks I have seen in  unit 9, I would drop on day one.  That’s IF I could get a tag. Your luck in drawing is unnatural. 

Sounds great! I never really been a good glasser. Just like to hike a ton so maybe I'll run across one at the right time! Usually how it works for me. "One more ridge wont hurt" then you're 5 miles away from the truck at sunset. 

I donate like 50$ each time I put in. Maybe thats why lol

24 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Also another question. I have a 12x scope with me on my 7 mag. But since it is really thick. Would it be wise to bring my open sighted 30-30

Here’s a unit 9 buck that I was able to just walk up on and video during a late rifle elk hunt a few years ago..he was so distracted by scraping that tree I stopped my truck and just walked within 5 yards of him..

No it wasn’t on the park but very close too it,

F36D71D5-D6BF-4C28-B9EB-23B018A791AB.png

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

8 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

Also another question. I have a 12x scope with me on my 7 mag. But since it is really thick. Would it be wise to bring my open sighted 30-30

I would take 30-30 for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5nRamirez said:

Here’s a unit 9 buck that I was able to just walk up on and video during a late rifle elk hunt a few years ago..he was so distracted by scraping that tree I stopped my truck and just walked within 5 yards of him..

No it wasn’t on the park but very close too it,

F36D71D5-D6BF-4C28-B9EB-23B018A791AB.png

What a giant. He must've been all rutted up! Really cool!

Just wanted to get an update out on this trip. Just got back home. Saw over 60 deer on this trip including 4 bucks. One was a 3x4 but couldnt get a shot. Saw a huge 7 point elk with the other antler broken off the main beam. Saw lots of yotes, pronghorn, and even 2 moutain lions. Went 0-2 on tags. I didn't have any issues with other hunters being crowded. Very fun just couldnt get a deer to take a dirt nap! If you need any info on the late elk hunts in unit 9 PM me! I have found some good spots/sanctuaries

• Like 3