Sign in to follow this  
wendt

Synthetic grass sales/install

Who here has gone to synthetic grass for you home lawns? Looking to replace existing real grass and add a dog run on side of house. Anybody own a company or recommend a company?

I can't imagine that stuff would hold up well in a dog run, especially due to smell. But I am curious to hear opinions of people who know and are not just making assumptions.

• Like 1

PM me, I do dog runs in Surprise.

Pioneer Landscape sells it. Depending on grade was around $3 a square foot. Easy to install.

I’ve been installing landscapes for 25+ years and I’m pretty old school when it comes to turf areas. Personally I’m not a fan of synthetic. It can  be downright hot to walk on, doesn’t metabolize urine like real grass and pretty costly to have done right. There are some very durable synthetic turf products that when installed correctly will last a long time. There are ways to chemically reduce the smell of dog urine if you use it for a dog run but I think most dogs if given the choice would choose real grass if that matters! Lol. The more complex turf areas we have Luxury Lawns install for us here in the Tucson area and they are top notch and fairly priced. I believe they have a Phoenix location.  Highly recommend 

• Like 1

I have had turf installed in two different homes, have dogs, would never do a regular lawn again.  We had Turf Monsters install our newest lawn and they did a fine job.  When prepped right with the proper gravel and sand base the dog smell isn’t an issue, although I only have 1 dog and he has a big area to pee.  The heat of synthetic grass is a non issue.  My dog goes and lays out on the synthetic grass in the heat of the day and soaks up the sun.  If you happen to be around the northwest valley you’re welcome to stop by and see ours.

How does that turf handle dog excrement?  I guess if it’s in solid form it won’t be a big deal but if it’s a little runny, does it get stinky?

If you’re not needing to piece two pieces of the grass together, it’s pretty easy to install. My dog doesn’t usually poop or pee on the grass except for rare occasions. When he does, it sprays off pretty easily. As stated above though, it gets really hot in the summer. If in direct sunlight, probably too hot for a dogs paws. 

16 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

How does that turf handle dog excrement?  I guess if it’s in solid form it won’t be a big deal but if it’s a little runny, does it get stinky?

When the dung is runny and you hit it with a hose within an hour or so probably not too big of a deal but when it dries you have a crap cake that’s pretty tough to remove unless you soak it. 

Where are you located, I am the operations manager at Artificial Grass Superstore here in Tucson and happy to answer any questions you have. I've been installing turf for 16 years...

I was a member quite some time ago (lost my password and ancient email address and was formerly known as dutchmanaz (and mainly a lurker)) but I also have a small artificial grass area and it's been a PIA ever since it was installed.  To be fair, the previous owners had dogs.  After I purchased this place and arranged for replacement  I was called away on international travel.  The contractor was supposed to have dug down 18 inches and then backfill with the appropriate material.  Unsure that ever happened because it still smells like dog pee and feces.   I've tried treating it with several different products with less than optimal results.  We keep the feces picked up once a day (swear to goodness this dog takes it as a challenge to see how many more piles he can leave) but it still is problematic.  Hope you have a better experience than I did. 

Yarn type, infill brushed into turf fibers along with the correct amount of infill. Whether your dog(s) are male or females with high protein diets will make turf smell. Due diligence and properly maintaining turf will ensure turf won't reek especially in the summer months. Enzyme cleaners and when to apply will help drastically 

Installed the turf myself- plenty of Youtube videos-  we have had 2 -3 golden retrievers- it's hit or miss if they crap on the grass or rocks- every so often the turf needs to be rinsed with the hose and then I spray Simple Green  for odor -

when it dry out, there is no smell, when it rains and is humid it smells - that is when I use Simple Green in a sprayer .  

I have found that spraying simple green first then after I spray it with vinegar works the best for odor. If your base is done right you shouldn't have much issues with odor. The turf odor spray sold at home Depot and Lowes is useless. 

One dog story I remember hearing about dogs and turf is when a smart German Shepherd went to its newly installed turf and was just studying it for a while and it couldn’t figure out what it was.  The dog ended up finding a corner of the turf and peeled back a little and dug down past all of the underlayment until it reached the native soil and stopped.  It’s like it knew it was wrong or at least different than normal grass and had to investigate it.  After that, it never messed with it again.

Well, i did our patch myself.  Mainly because of two reasons, im cheap... and every body i talked to i didnt meet the required sq ft.

Luckily our (grass portion) of the yard is pretty small.  200 Sq ft.  I dug it out b (by hand) 4 inches down and then back filled it the granite that was recommended. i flooded, tamped, and compacted it the best i could. 

the bad part of the yard was, it wasnt straight or square cuts. it had one interior 90  then an angular edge  with sort of a scallops on the top and then a curve for the gazebo. Tha t being said, if you have the option to keep your piece square (or at least with right angles) the better off you are.  its sold in 15 or 7.5 wide swaths.  my layment was best to use 7.5' wide.... but i almost did get in a pickle because i had to scrounge for remanats that would work to fill the scalloped edge at the far end of the grass area. just like carpet, theres a lay direction that has to match...

i wound up with extra seems. i know where they are(kinda) but nobody else can see it

We went through the Synthetic grass store in mesa. Thney have a worksheet online and i was withing a couple hundred bucks of my guess.  The sales person that helped me out was almost spot on with how many nails i would need etc for installation. 

---

theres plenty of pet friendly fake grasses, and theres ones that synth recomended. its warmer than regular grass, but not the "hot lava" everyone makes it out to be. i still walk barefoot on it.

I got an english pointer who thinks hes a greyhound. its been in for 3 years now with out any worry. a broom everyonce ina while will refluff it.  it stands up to urine, i do wash it down more often than i expected... but never noticed the smell.  He wont stop crapping on my pool deck, so the "choclate"  factor isnt anything ive had to worry about. 

for the synthetic grass store, they wouuldnt honor or provide any warranty, without proof of window coverings on any proximity windows.  The radiant heat would reflect and melt it... even if it wat in direct reflection of the sun.