idgaf

Fu*&^%ing ethics

1 hour ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Calf caught in a fence and the cow didn’t want to leave? The size of the quarters and color of the meat look "calfy"

Fence line does look twisted.

The story. G&F called me last week and asked if I wanted a depredation cow tag for round valley after a minutes of thought I decided to take it. I heard it expires the 8th. What she actually said was the 5th.  My wife had the show low creek hunt that expires today so it would give me the weekend to hunt.  She got her elk Tuesday and I was really relaxed Wednesday until I saw the date on my tag.  

Last night I go to the very south end of the area and nothing.  Get a semi late start from my house in show low today. Rushing to my vantage point I see a few cows just off the road by the river and figured why not. 

Sneaking in to where that cow is at the beginning of the thread I jump a 3 legged calf with dots in bad shape. I say to myself sh!t and take the 20 yard shot it runs 18 yards and falls over.  For s&g I finish the stock on the cow and take the picture.   

Hardest part was deciding to rock climb out, go through the swamp, wade the creek, or go through willow jungle to get out.  Willow jungle was the best. 

20210805_061638.thumb.jpg.032c9eb69ee8304d33451321f97411ef.jpg

The cliffs

20210805_062312.thumb.jpg.612a65b1c5434dc43a4c4b11f2af3854.jpg

the river

20210805_061951.thumb.jpg.2805039578cfd2d6672125b75472203c.jpg

the jungle

20210805_074947.thumb.jpg.c24dd570aac964195bbc9a46ca716c86.jpg

before anyone says anything this hunt has a special exemption for archery hunter where you can shoot within a 1/4 mile from an occupied structure and it is encouraged to shoot the elk that are in the alfalfa. 

• Like 6

Nice work! Mine starts this Friday.

3 minutes ago, stanley said:

I see NOTHING that makes me think of ethics at all.  Good show!!  Glad you were successful with the tag!!

S.

I could have walked past by the wounded baby and shot a full sized cow. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, idgaf said:

Story to come

20210805_063953.thumb.jpg.4d7017523903aa2659bd4ca2a921f1e0.jpg

Did her daughter step in front of the arrow? Lolol

im Only kidding 

6 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Did her daughter step in front of the arrow? Lolol

im Only kidding 

Daughter or son. It hadn't identified yet 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, idgaf said:

I could have walked past by the wounded baby and shot a full sized cow. 

Ah, I thought you were indicating it was an ethical concern that you shot the baby.  Got it now....

The more I think of it, I still see no real ethical dilemma or choice either way here. 

Cool that you shot the baby., and to Bonecollector's point, you did the calf a favor by ending it's apparent suffering more quickly than would have otherwise.  It was hurting, and it was a legal animal.  On the other hand, had you passed on the baby and killed the cow, honestly for me that would have been just fine, too.  That baby became injured somehow and nature & the way of things were running their course (with or without you).  I see no moral/ethical obligation to shoot or not shoot the baby either way in this case. 

(But obviously this is TOTALLY my own opinion only, and we all know what they say about opinions.....  As I said earlier, good show!)

• Like 2