idgaf

Fu*&^%ing ethics

1 hour ago, idgaf said:

I could have walked past by the wounded baby and shot a full sized cow. 

Totally not disagreeing with what you decided to do, and in the moment I might have done the same.  But, if the goal of the hunt is population management, it seems like arrowing the fertile and healthy cow might have aligned with the objective better than taking a calf that nature likely would have claimed on its own.

Again, no issues here as far as I'm concerned (not that my opinion matters anyways), just another way to look at it--and another example of why ethics are hard to regulate because ethics often depend on the eye of the beholder.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stanley said:

The more I think of it, I still see no real ethical dilemma or choice either way here. 

Cool that you shot the baby., and to Bonecollector's point, you did the calf a favor by ending it's apparent suffering more quickly than would have otherwise.  It was hurting, and it was a legal animal.  On the other hand, had you passed on the baby and killed the cow, honestly for me that would have been just fine, too.  That baby became injured somehow and nature & the way of things were running their course (with or without you).  I see no moral/ethical obligation to shoot or not shoot the baby either way in this case. 

(But obviously this is TOTALLY my own opinion only, and we all know what they say about opinions.....  As I said earlier, good show!)

44 minutes ago, 1uglydude said:

Totally not disagreeing with what you decided to do, and in the moment I might have done the same.  But, if the goal of the hunt is population management, it seems like arrowing the fertile and healthy cow might have aligned with the objective better than taking a calf that nature likely would have claimed on its own.

Again, no issues here as far as I'm concerned (not that my opinion matters anyways), just another way to look at it--and another example of why ethics are hard to regulate because ethics often depend on the eye of the beholder.

What these two said.  

• Like 1

Nice job Fred.  Hopefully the meat is nice and tender. Im actually curious about if it will be or not. Youll have to let us know. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1uglydude said:

I'm with you. This is nuanced and with more degrees than it seems.  For me in this instance when an animal is suffering and I have the legal ability to end it. I will.  That superseded the elk in the alfalfa goal g&f set.  

Of course I had to 'old yeller' my horse many years ago. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, idgaf said:

I'm with you. This is nuanced and with more degrees than it seems.  For me in this instance when an animal is suffering and I have the legal ability to end it. I will.  That superseded the elk in the alfalfa goal g&f set.  

Of course I had to 'old yeller' my horse many years ago. 

Wait a minute….I thought all of us hunters were ruthless barbarians😂!!! I would have made the same choice because regardless of the population objective we still have compassion and sympathy when we experience suffering, human or animal. 

This is the ultimate display of ethics!!!! No one looking, you legally could have turned a blind eye…but you didn’t, couldn’t. This is a story from the forum I will proudly share with my son! Well done amigo!

sincerely, Mark

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Explain it to azgfd and maybe you can shoot another

It ended today. Besides all they wanted to know was that I got one for their reports

Yeah, not only was that calf already doomed to die a miserable death, but had you shot its mother it would have just been worse. I’d have a hard time putting an arrow in a spotted calf, but there is no question you spared it some suffering.

Nature is metal stuff right there.

• Like 2