Viper

Need kitchen cabinet/counters remodel suggestions/advice

My kitchen is due for an update. I am weighing options. We have quotes ranging from ~$13k (for reface and granite tops) to ~$25k (for full replacement). I have a hard time spending that much $ for this. I am pretty handy and have done other remodel projects on the house, so one option is to attempt this on my own.

1) Just refinish (stain) the cabinet boxes and order replacement unfinished door/drawer fronts, stain, install. Hire out the granite install.

2) Attempt to DIY reface, similar to option 1. Hire out the granite install.

3) Attempt to order new cabinets and install myself. Hire out the granite install.

4) Bite the bullet and hire it all done.

Any advice, suggestions, experience, recommendations for a reputable cabinet guy/business are welcome. 

Your kind of screwed on saving any money with these guys all being slammed. No way your going to find a deal unless its a freind.

For me the best idea would be to order custom cabinets and DIY that part and hire out the granite..option 3

I wanted to add cabinets to our existing ones and had to get they guy that built my house to get me a quote, the cabinet maker wouldnt even talk to a non contractor. Thats what you get with custom I guess unless you order them yourself. We are also looking to do granite and for sure hiring that out but I am going to keep my old granite and put it out on patio for outdoor kitchen

• Like 1

My wife redid all of our cabinets from oak to a distressed white, then did the master bath in a grey and used a granite for another cabinet or two and now has done about half our furniture - all with that chalk paint.  I didn't do the work, but sure seemed easier than sanding and staining and it all has come out really sharp.  Just added pulls as we went along as well to all the cabinets. 

We hired out the granite but saved a ton on the cabinets.  

• Like 1

If you have the tools to reface them then that wouldn't be a bad option. I probably wouldn't stain them myself but would totally paint them.

Option 3 wouldn't be any big deal. They don't have to be custom, you could order modular cabinets and set them yourself.

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

I've done option 2 a few times. As long as the doors are in good condition, the refacing (painting) can be done fairly easily.

If you have to fix them up and sand every nook and cranny, the prep work turns into a nightmare. 

Get a sprayer and know how to use it, as brushes/roller imprints on cabinets are VERY noticeable. 

You might as well do a backsplash while you're at if you can DIY tile work; it will really finish your project off and doesn't take too much time. 

If you decide to replace the cabinets, save the old ones.  We did that in the house I’m now living in when we remodeled the kitchen in the late 90s.  The left over cabinets and base cabinets went into our workshop and were now our storage and work surfaces if you don’t have a workshop, talk to someone who could use them rather than chitcanning them.  I recently remodeled it when I bought the house and painted the old cabinets and bases and relocated them a little.  Of course the old cabinets won’t fit like a glove in a space that wasn’t measured out like the kitchen was, but you can get creative with the layout and come up with ideas that complement the old stuff.  Look at the pics.  I know they’re not the best resolution, but you can get the idea.  You can see the old microwave and hood location in its new spot.  This are just a few pics I have saved.

C0306ADA-96E7-46E8-83EC-B2975F1B16C1.jpeg

471BA679-0F47-415E-B5BE-2F5BE619552A.jpeg

9170CED5-D5E7-42EE-ABBC-3E4D34FA343F.jpeg

E7DA4460-5723-4425-804B-0EF145B30C37.jpeg

6B469B9F-AAE7-4E01-8FE5-DB07A2802359.jpeg

• Like 1

Dont refinish them, way too much work. I would either buy the boxes and install yourself or paint them and upgrade the hinges and add nice pulls.  Home depot sells an Alkyd paint that acts kind of like an oil base but it is actually water clean up.  Works well on cabinetry, id opt to use a small smooth finish microfiber roller instead of spraying.  Word of advice, spraying definately looks nicer but if you nick a box or scratch something the touch ups stick out like a sore thumb. And you will nick and scratch stuff no matter how hard you try not too.  Thats why we started using the weenie rollers and the right ones still give a nice finish.  

Ive done this stuff for a living, if you have any questions feel free to hit me up.  

• Like 2

Buy a new house!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, dusty said:

Chicken wire.

289ea6ffd09fb7a6728bbb99f87d69c4.jpg

This looks real good!  Any details on the wire product?

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Dont refinish them, way too much work. I would either buy the boxes and install yourself or paint them and upgrade the hinges and add nice pulls.  Home depot sells an Alkyd paint that acts kind of like an oil base but it is actually water clean up.  Works well on cabinetry, id opt to use a small smooth finish microfiber roller instead of spraying.  Word of advice, spraying definately looks nicer but if you nick a box or scratch something the touch ups stick out like a sore thumb. And you will nick and scratch stuff no matter how hard you try not too.  Thats why we started using the weenie rollers and the right ones still give a nice finish.  

Ive done this stuff for a living, if you have any questions feel free to hit me up.  

I 2nd this Alkyd paint! Did this to my house 3 years ago and still great!

• Like 1