Sign in to follow this  
HighschoolHunter

Out of state pronghorn

I really want to hunt pronghorn in the worst way. Sitting on 5 points for AZ and ready to look at other options for the near future. I was looking into Wyoming cause of high draw odds and lots of opportunity but a guy at work suggested NM private land was a better option. What is y’all’s opinion of the easiest states for a nonresident to hunt pronghorn in? Not looking for trophy quality but a buck tag would be nice. Thanks in advance 

I’ve hunted Wy a couple of times building points and will do it again. Haven’t done NM but probably better quality and similar price once travel and time comes into play. 

Thanks for the response. I’m noticing on the draw odds report for Wyoming the draw odds are basically split between units with lots of public land vs those with very little. In the easier to draw units with little public land, is most of the private held by one rancher? How difficult is it to get permission to hunt the private land? Or did you wait longer to hunt units with lots of public land? 

Couple things...

5 BPs and you are already looking for a different option?  HAHAHAHA!  I have 27BPs for AZ, and still don't have a tag in my safe.  Then again, I know people every year that draw with 5-10.  So maybe it is just my terrible tag-drawing luck.

NM is easy to get a private land tag, but getting permission to hunt a ranch, or hire a guide is going to cost you.  Drive is anywhere from 8-12 hours.  3 day hunt.  

WY is not difficult to draw a tag, maybe every 2-5 years depending on unit.  I am building points for up there, so when I want to go, it will be a guaranteed draw.  But, there is legislation on the table limiting NR tags and capping to a certain percentage.  So the 3-5BP days might be coming to an end.  Drive is longer, but pronghorn are definitely WAY more prevalent.  Big bucks are not as common, but when you can look at 100 bucks a day, you can be far more picky.

• Like 2

while I never hunted New Mexico for pronghorn, it's a great option if you really want to hunt antelope - NW Landowner tags are easy to get and it's much closer than WY - NW has big goats.... the ROI on buying a landowner tag vs. putting in for 25 years in AZ is a wash - you could have hunted one much sooner.... I am not advocating for not putting into the draw in AZ-

if you really want to hunt a goat- there are options that don't include waiting 20+ years. 

If you can afford it do it- if you find.a nice tag- let me know LOL

• Like 2

I'm sur bigbrowns gave you some good info. You wanna hunt speed goats, do Wyoming lots of units are 1 or none bonus points. Get your point this year and you'll be good to go next year, unit 43 is a good one point hunt..,

• Like 1

i hunted in new mexico on a landowner tag once, it was in the eastern part of the state, there were a lot of antelope and we had a great time and it wasn't all that bad price wise

The trophy potential in AZ is far lower than it used to be. If I wasn’t a resident I wouldn’t even bother with an application. There are too many tags, too few goats and it’s hot.

Wyoming is about to get rough to draw. It’s likely going to double the amount of bonus points required to draw.

Spend the money, go with the sure thing while NM before prices skyrocket.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the responses! And yes—Adam (bigbrowns) was very helpful. I bought the point in Wyoming for 30$ and am doing all the research I can to find easy to draw units with more public land. I’m finding out it might still be a couple years out but better that than 20+ more years waiting in my home state 

I've hunted NM a couple times with landowner tags. Its definitely a good time with plenty of goats around. This was in Central NM

Its a relaxing hunt, not like the rat race with the rifle tags here in AZ are that I hear about. 

• Like 2