Crazymonkey

New to long range

Need some help with setting up a new gun tho I've got many none are of this caliber.so here's what I've got its a Interarms mauser action rebarreled with a brux and a hawkins break timmney trigger and a mcmillan a 3-5 adjustable stock its got a egw 20 moa rail and topped with a 5x25x56 atacr I've never set up for length of pull or comb height. Any help with setup would be appreciated this is my setup I work a lot but am available sat or Sun after 12 thanks

0702211810-1.jpg

Located in Gilbert .but I can travel to the west side if it helps. The gun was put together by Keith at Phoenix custom rifles.I've only had store bought guns with fixed stocks and the best scope was a vx3 so I hope I've got a good start .the caliber is 7-08 if that matters

Knowing where you are will help for someone to get with you. I am certainly by no means a long range shooter but there are a few on here that should b able to help out and give you some guidance.

One of my favorite calibers.

• Like 1

The gun was my grandfather's original wood stock and 243 cal. My dad was going to do the 7-08 swap back in the 80s and never did .so he gave the project to me and the wife footed the bill for rebuilding for our 20 yr anniversary.ill need to get it figured out so I can take it pig hunting in November in .ca with my dad .I've just started building up ammo has to be lead free so barns or hornady gmx

I'm still pretty new to this sight and don't know many members just the few I've met buying or selling a few things and all seem to be great but I'd feel weird to shoot a pm asking for some help to someone I've not talked with but his name comes up a lot for anything shooting related if he is willing to give me a hand with the setup I'd take it for sure

I will be available after Wednesday next week.  Could help you on Saturday, 8-21 at the Joe Foss Shooting Facility in the morning, or available for a phone call either today or after next Tuesday too.  

PM inbound.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

I will be available after Wednesday next week.  Could help you on Saturday, 8-21 at the Joe Foss Shooting Facility in the morning, or available for a phone call either today or after next Tuesday too.  

PM inbound.

I still need to call yo Lance! 😊 I was gonna say you help out a lot with this stuff! I’m in San Tan as well if you need help, definitely take Lance up on his offer. 

Just an update on the long range goal.I'm still not ready to shoot yet I've got brass seperated for defects trimmed for lenght and in the tumbler.I've got a 21st century flash hole deburr tool on order.and soon will begin weighing brass and bullets .I also need to get the dummy brass to check the seating depth to the lands .thanks lance and vowell .going into this I had no idea of all the prep work that goes into it .ill post pics of my results as they come its hard to get much done with my work schedule but a little at a time .

• Like 3

It is a lot of prep work, but when you are connecting at extended ranges over and over, it sure is worth it. 

Funny thing is I do shoot short range quite well but it's a whole different world when you are trying to stretch things out. All the little things sure do add up when you try it.close range it seems you can get away with a lot because it doesn't show till you get out a few hundred yards 

28 minutes ago, ThomC said:

Sounds like you should start with short range maybe.  😊

I guess I don't understand if your trying to insult me or just trying to be funny .I'm sure at some point you didn't have all the answers and looked for some help .I'm just thankful that most people on here are willing to share what they know with others as it only makes us all better shooters ,hunters ,and people in general 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

I guess I don't understand if your trying to insult me or just trying to be funny .I'm sure at some point you didn't have all the answers and looked for some help .I'm just thankful that most people on here are willing to share what they know with others as it only makes us all better shooters ,hunters ,and people in general 😁

I believe he is trying to say that you start close.    Go out a bit further....while learning and then stretch it out.   Mid range 400-800 yards is a great learning place.   You can learn a ton by just denting primers.   I know many guys that don't do the work you are right now and will have an awesome water line at 1000 yards.   FYI - probably the biggest key to long range is understanding how the environmental factors affect the POI of the bullet.   Once that skill is acquired then everything starts to click.   Environments will probably cause you bigger misses than any box of factory ammunition.      

The biggest key to learning long range is actually doing it.  

• Like 1