Crazymonkey

New to long range

Ok so here we go weighing brass its hornady virgin .100 cases netted 90 to start with on visable dents or defects then weighing told a different story from 148.6 to158.6 with two distinct batches from 154.to 156 .4 and 158.2 to159.6 bullets are barns tsx and went from 139.4 to140.5 now I see how important it is to weigh and sort for the most consistent loads

0824211556.jpg

10 minutes ago, recurveman said:

I believe he is trying to say that you start close.    Go out a bit further....while learning and then stretch it out.   Mid range 400-800 yards is a great learning place.   You can learn a ton by just denting primers.   I know many guys that don't do the work you are right now and will have an awesome water line at 1000 yards.   FYI - probably the biggest key to long range is understanding how the environmental factors affect the POI of the bullet.   Once that skill is acquired then everything starts to click.   Environments will probably cause you bigger misses than any box of factory ammunition.      

The biggest key to learning long range is actually doing it.  

I guess that could be the point he's trying to make .I've only shot animals at 100 or less and worked hard to learn the skills needed to get close .so your mid range 400 to 800 would be a long shot for me but it's all just a matter of perspective you only see the guys shoot longrange and dial in scopes on the hunting shows makes it look easy then with some research you see how hard and time and labor intensive it really is so many variables into shooting that far and so many things to learn and I'm just getting started 

24 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

Ok so here we go weighing brass its hornady virgin .100 cases netted 90 to start with on visable dents or defects then weighing told a different story from 148.6 to158.6 with two distinct batches from 154.to 156 .4 and 158.2 to159.6 bullets are barns tsx and went from 139.4 to140.5 now I see how important it is to weigh and sort for the most consistent loads

0824211556.jpg

Hornady is known for not being consistent in case weights.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

I guess that could be the point he's trying to make .I've only shot animals at 100 or less and worked hard to learn the skills needed to get close .so your mid range 400 to 800 would be a long shot for me but it's all just a matter of perspective you only see the guys shoot longrange and dial in scopes on the hunting shows makes it look easy then with some research you see how hard and time and labor intensive it really is so many variables into shooting that far and so many things to learn and I'm just getting started 

This is why I get bothered by people who complain about guys taking an animal from an extended range. It takes a lot of time, practice, and skill to do that in one shot. A lot of which most guy don't put forth the effort. 

• Like 1

Yep its a very costly adventure by comparison I've hunted with my ruger m77 300 win its a great gun its got a break some trigger work and what I thought was good glass a vx3 4.5x14 .used it for elk and javalina once .way way to much for pigs at 10 feet but it was a learned lesson .you look at the cost to shoot long-range custom gun around 3500 bucks remember it's a rebuild then you add a bipod that's 400 bucks atlas then a scope that is capable and you can spend thousands mine was 2400 used rings are expensive to good glass needs good rings.then there is ammo the cost to reload not to mention the time to sort and weigh everything it's labor intensive.but after looking at the big swings in weight from components I won't shoot store bought ammo for hunts again as you can see how this would change your standard deviation and poi .it takes a lot of time money and practice to have those skills for sure much respect to those who take the time do get it right and make those 1 shot hits at long range I to soon hope to learn enough to do so but will stay in my range of comfort on hunts and practice to grow that range 

13 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Hornady is known for not being consistent in case weights.

It's best to weight sort virgin cases after trimming and uniforming primer pockets. A case that's just a few thousands longer will render a heavier weight. While after trimming it may fall into the group. Hornady is not known for consistent measurements either.

All cases are trimmed to spec and were checked for consistency when trimming the only thing I haven't done is the deburr on the flash holes as the tool is on order. Looks like midway has nosler brass and might get me closer none was in stock from the top two when I was looking before ill just tell the wife ill use it in the other 7-08 and order some more lapua showed no stock so nosler should be a better start for me

18 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

All cases are trimmed to spec and were checked for consistency when trimming the only thing I haven't done is the deburr on the flash holes as the tool is on order. Looks like midway has nosler brass and might get me closer none was in stock from the top two when I was looking before ill just tell the wife ill use it in the other 7-08 and order some more lapua showed no stock so nosler should be a better start for me

I have been working with my once fired Hornady brass (have a couple thousand). I have sorted and using the ones that come in at 148-150 grains, about 1/3 go under or over. Then its flash hole de-burr and primer pocket uniform. But then I weighed a box of Lapua brass, 165 grains +/- .3 grains. With the Lapua no flash hole or primer pocket prep required. Two pictures with the same load one with Lapua brass that was loaded up as is and the other sorted and worked over Hornady brass. Thinking Hornady not worth the effort and Lapua worth the $$.

C07F3224-ED61-448C-877B-960A20D77D51.jpeg

9465C2B9-0DAF-4D51-92A5-E7DC4FA085B4.jpeg

Boy that says a lot about using good components and it shows in the results.I just hope the nosler is better lapua is outa stock everywhere I've looked if anyone has a source that has some in stock I'd appreciate the info 

Nosler should suit you well. I was thinking about buying some myself, but not at that price. 

Yep it sucks to pay as much as stuff is now .but I've got till November to get it figured out 

Ca pig hunt with dad I won't be ready for you guys kinda long shot but for me a 200 to 300 yd goal seems doable if time and skill allow won't make shots I'm not comfortable with so limits on distance will be set before hunting

Wow That's quite a bit when you said 2 to 3 gr. On brass and I was bummed to see that big of a spread in my lot.going to go nosler and maybe just use the hornady for barrel break in still haven't shot 1 round outa the gun and it's killing me

7 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Boy that says a lot about using good components and it shows in the results.I just hope the nosler is better lapua is outa stock everywhere I've looked if anyone has a source that has some in stock I'd appreciate the info 

I really like Nosler brass.   I shoot the prepped brass and this is what I do.   I shoot a mandrel down the hole to get my neck tension correct.    Add a primer, fill it will powder and top with a bullet.   I don't weigh anything and I will hold a very nice water line at 1000 yards all the time.   Now Nosler brass is a bit softer than Lapua.   I'm to the point now where I get good enough accuracy where the extra effort of weighing everything just isn't worth it.   I've turned necks, weighed stuff and everything else.   Not anymore.   If I was shooting competitions I would probably go through the effort but for hunting accuracy out to 1000 yards I think you need good consistent components.   If you need to weight everything then you have the wrong components most of the time.   

I also don't shoot Nosler brass more than once.   It's kind of like the difference between being 25 and 50.   Shoot once and that's enough.   

9 minutes ago, recurveman said:

I also don't shoot Nosler brass more than once.   It's kind of like the difference between being 25 and 50.   Shoot once and that's enough.   

This is the only part I can't comprehend.  Especially since you must have dies for the cartridge.

• Like 1