Crazymonkey

New to long range

When I hit 50 it realized  it was the new 25. But that was almost two decades ago when  I could still run circles around most people half my age. SO what do you do with the once fire brass if you are "only" mostly shooting 1000 yards?

Tho I'm just trying to get into the long range game I have reloaded I do see the need for good components after my run with hornady brass .I would have to believe if brass is of any quality at all you could aneil the necks and just neck size if all the case lengths are the same .I've seen the phrase waterline used here but I'm not sure to what it means is it just a linear line reference?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazymonkey said:

Tho I'm just trying to get into the long range game I have reloaded I do see the need for good components after my run with hornady brass .I would have to believe if brass is of any quality at all you could aneil the necks and just neck size if all the case lengths are the same .I've seen the phrase waterline used here but I'm not sure to what it means is it just a linear line reference?

Waterline is lack of vertical spread at distance.  Like drawing a horizontal line across the POA on target, and keeping all your vertical dispersion close to this line.  

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

This is the only part I can't comprehend.  Especially since you must have dies for the cartridge.

To me it seems Nosler is “soft” I don’t get much reloads out of them. 

It's just faster.   Also if you really push the Nosler brass the primer pockets will start to get loose in even a few shots.   So, a few years back I just said the heck with it and have just bought new Nosler brass and been done with it.   I also do all my reloading over at my father in laws house (about an hour away) and if I can speed up the process that is great.   I can't go put brass in the tumbler and come back in a few hours.   Then the next night trim and size the brass.    I have to do everything all at once.   

The crazy thing is the accuracy that I get with the Nosler brass.   If I shoot 3 shots at 100 yards and they aren't touching I would be pissed.   My speeds are super, super consistent.    I really think the key to new brass is sending a mandrel down the neck to make the tension consistent.   I've just had really good luck with this process.    

20 hours ago, PRDATR said:

When I hit 50 it realized  it was the new 25. But that was almost two decades ago when  I could still run circles around most people half my age. SO what do you do with the once fire brass if you are "only" mostly shooting 1000 yards?

I just keep the brass laying around.  I'm sure I have more once fired brass than I need.   Honestly I shoot at all distances.   I like to load develop at 100 with a chrono.    Then I'll run back to 500 or so and shoot 20 or so rounds to make sure it does good.    Then head to 1000.    That is where you will really see if your load is dialed in.  If all is good then lets go kills stuff.      

18 hours ago, Vowell said:

To me it seems Nosler is “soft” I don’t get much reloads out of them. 

Nosler is probably the softest brass I have shot.   Hence the reason I only shoot them once.    

• Like 1

Me being the sole bread winner .I would have a hard time with the cost .nosler brass at 75.99 for 50 would get real expensive to only load once.it would be easier to explain to the wife I've gotta get lapua brass at around 115 for a hundred and can reload them a few times if not pushed hard .family and bills come first .but I can see the need for the quality I'm sure you could post your once fired nosler brass and have it scooped up quickly 

31 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

Me being the sole bread winner .I would have a hard time with the cost .nosler brass at 75.99 for 50 would get real expensive to only load once.it would be easier to explain to the wife I've gotta get lapua brass at around 115 for a hundred and can reload them a few times if not pushed hard .family and bills come first .but I can see the need for the quality I'm sure you could post your once fired nosler brass and have it scooped up quickly 

To me the time is worth more than the money.   But that is just me.   I used to shoot Lapua brass too and run it through the dies.   Nothing wrong with that but it does take quite a bit of time to complete the reloading process.    The initial work required to get lapua up to the needed standards to shoot the first time is fairly substantial.    That can be part of the fun too.    But it will take a bunch of time to get it right.  

Yes its time consuming but cost effective.I load for several different calibers from handgun to rifle and a wildcat that is super labor intensive but that's half the fun .it also gives me some quiet time just to myself .I still can't talk the wife into loading her own ammo or cleaning her own guns she says that's what I'm for😁

Tons of mental masturbation. Find a load that shoots well with little vertical and get after it. Don’t worry about brass weight and please do not neck size. Post results.

• Like 2

I've got a lead on lapua brass so hopefully it comes thru and I get 200 rds to get started so it will be at least a week or two .ive got some store bought ammo and I'm debating running it thru to start barrel break in and set scope close .also I'm really itching to just shoot it .its been in the safe for 2 months waiting on me.

Well two days and 9 hrs left to see if I get some lapua brass .I'm really itching to shoot if wife whoops I mean life you know what I mean don't get in the way are have a honey do list ill try to run out to Rio salado today and just run some store bought thru to get a feel for it and see if I need to adjust anything .ill post the results if I can go

• Like 1

Made it to the range today .it was a learning experience .so here goes first round outa the barrel no hit on target at 100 so in to 25 to see hits .I pulled the bolt and went to run a patch and must have grabbed a bigger one for another gun and got it stuck. A little work and some bad words later and back running see first target at 25 .shows promise with store bought ammo .brought the target out to 100 and started to run some barns 140 gr thru and spread opened need to wait for the case to check free bore and set bullets back. Also need to drop trigger weight its a timmney and factory set .the scope seems to need to come back to clear up view.see second target .all in all it was a learning experience some new brass ,adjustment to trigger and scope,a few tweets to the seating depth and ill make another run at it

0829211414.jpg

0829211603.jpg

0829211627.jpg

• Like 1

Any ideas on a good set of bags or a solid rest. The rest for the range and some bags for everything else especially a rear bag I had trouble getting steady and can see how it will cause issues