Crazymonkey

New to long range

On 8/26/2021 at 8:47 PM, cjl2010 said:

Tons of mental masturbation. Find a load that shoots well with little vertical and get after it. Don’t worry about brass weight and please do not neck size. Post results.

I agree 100% I have tried weight sorting brass and can’t confirm or deny if it actually works for me. Best tool I bought to help long range consistency is a labradar. Ive shot some crazy low SD/ES with some “cheap brass”. And I actually had more problems with the harder brass like ADG and Petersen. They are definitely more ready to load and more consistent in a lot of ways but sometimes they seem to be too hard. Ive got 12+reloads out of RP brass running it hard before the pockets swelled. 

Find a load that shoots accurately and has low ES and just start shooting. Bullets down range, form, practice in the different environmental conditions is something alot of people skip out on and it shows. 

Ive seen many guys show up to the range with the top end everything and they get worked over in competition by guys that have rifles and gear that cost 1/2 as much. The guys with not as fancy gear obviously spent way more time petting their “fancy toys” and less time sending bullets down range.  

if you really want to be good at long range shooting , shoot in the wind ....a lot. I like to shoot at 1 moa to 1.5 Moa targets. Your not doing yourself any good shooting at barn doors. Lol 

• Like 3

Did you ever get that Lapua brass? And Phoenix shooting bags are great.

• Like 1

Ok so far so good only a few hours left on the brass bid is anybody looking for or interested in a box or two if I can get it ? So far I'm at $105 a box I will get what I need and have the opportunity for a total of 4 boxes I figure 2 will get me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazymonkey said:

Alright I won the bid for the brass 😁 now do I cry once and buy all 4 boxes or just get what I need for now and hope more is available later.

Are you a betting man?

On 8/24/2021 at 10:51 PM, zackcarp said:

This is why I get bothered by people who complain about guys taking an animal from an extended range. It takes a lot of time, practice, and skill to do that in one shot. A lot of which most guy don't put forth the effort. 

I only wish that were always true. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 11:51 PM, SHOOTER said:

I agree 100% I have tried weight sorting brass and can’t confirm or deny if it actually works for me. Best tool I bought to help long range consistency is a labradar. Ive shot some crazy low SD/ES with some “cheap brass”. And I actually had more problems with the harder brass like ADG and Petersen. They are definitely more ready to load and more consistent in a lot of ways but sometimes they seem to be too hard. Ive got 12+reloads out of RP brass running it hard before the pockets swelled. 

Find a load that shoots accurately and has low ES and just start shooting. Bullets down range, form, practice in the different environmental conditions is something alot of people skip out on and it shows. 

Ive seen many guys show up to the range with the top end everything and they get worked over in competition by guys that have rifles and gear that cost 1/2 as much. The guys with not as fancy gear obviously spent way more time petting their “fancy toys” and less time sending bullets down range.  

if you really want to be good at long range shooting , shoot in the wind ....a lot. I like to shoot at 1 moa to 1.5 Moa targets. Your not doing yourself any good shooting at barn doors. Lol 

Great information right here.   The labradar (or good chrono) is an absolute must.   Zero reason to do load development without this tool.   Reading the external conditions is also the key to hitting  your target.   

• Like 1

Just an update lapua brass is in route and I should have in about a week .the modified case to check free bore is supposed to be delivered today .I pulled the action out of the stock and lightened the trigger pull timmney says will only go safely down to 1.5 lbs.I also loosened the scope and moved it back one full slot on the rail .so it looks more like a full field of view I hope the wife was upset I had a rifle sitting on the kitchen table pointed out the rear slider .she kept saying someone is going to call the cops.

1 hour ago, Crazymonkey said:

I hope the wife was upset I had a rifle sitting on the kitchen table pointed out the rear slider .she kept saying someone is going to call the cops.

Don't worry man.......law enforcement guys love to hang out and talk about guns.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, recurveman said:

Don't worry man.......law enforcement guys love to hang out and talk about guns.  

Got in s wreck in the wife's car a few years back .rearended on I 10. Totaling the car .the 1991 Acura Integra was no match for 80s full size chevy truck .when I got outa the car the officer was already there and said to take a seat back in the car the meds were in route .sitting back in the car I saw my springfield trp 45 had flown from under the seat to wedged under the break petal and asked him to make it safe and hold it for me .after clearing the gun that's all he wanted to talk about .