Anybody running anything besides the 45 cal powerbelt let in your cva paramount or paramount pro just looking to see if anyone has tried something different with good success

I’m running the elr in my .45. I was a little concerned about the bullet. Shot an antelope this weekend pass through on a double shoulder shot at 250. Accuracy has been good and after actual performance I trust it more now. 

Good to know the 45 cal  works . I had a buddy run a 50 cal elr in a accura on elk and had the copper jacket come apart on the entry side .might be because he used the wrong seater and might have had an effect. 

I am new to this whole ML sport but just recently got a CVA Accura LR in .45 cal.  I have the PB ELR's and Blackhorn, and as soon as I can locate some primers i plan to start developing some loads.  Any suggestions as to where to start would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Blackhorn is more responsive than pyrodex or 777 so blackhorn has a site and recommendations for powder charges don't count on the tube markers to be accurate if you can weigh charges at 100 gr by volume is 70 gr by weight 120 gr volume a max charge probably for your gun is 84 gr by weight. Use Teflon tape on the breach plug threads to prevent stuck plugs and you can use your standard cleaning supplies when running Blackhorn .your gun and your shoulder will let you know what it likes for powder weight.make sure you have the breach plug for blackhorn its different.depending on location I can give you a hand I've got 5 muzzys. I'm in Gilbert

On 9/7/2021 at 3:25 AM, Crazymonkey said:

Blackhorn is more responsive than pyrodex or 777 so blackhorn has a site and recommendations for powder charges don't count on the tube markers to be accurate if you can weigh charges at 100 gr by volume is 70 gr by weight 120 gr volume a max charge probably for your gun is 84 gr by weight. Use Teflon tape on the breach plug threads to prevent stuck plugs and you can use your standard cleaning supplies when running Blackhorn .your gun and your shoulder will let you know what it likes for powder weight.make sure you have the breach plug for blackhorn its different.depending on location I can give you a hand I've got 5 muzzys. I'm in Gilbert

Thanks for the info.  I do plan to weigh my charges (I work at a lab and have access to calibrated balances that are accurate to 1/10,000 of a gram).  The teflon tape is a new one though that I will look into.  So you don't use an anti-seize grease?  As far as the basics I have done a ton of research so I feel like I have most of the process covered.  It is mainly trying to find which loads will work best in my gun.  I guess I won't know until I try different variables.  I was hoping for some feedback as to where to start with using the 285 grain ELR's.  Unfortunately, there is not as much data on the .45 vs. 50.  It seems like lot of folks bash PB's but I suspect the ELR is a little different that some of their other bullets, at least I hope so because I have a bunch of them. 

• Like 1

The Teflon trick I learned on another forum it works great .I think the elr is so far ok the boys at gunwerks are running them in there high dollar muzzy and I haven't heard to much on another option with a high bc .I wish I'd have learned the Teflon trick sooner I've got antiseaze in the threads of one of my guns and its a pain in the butt as it traps the powder in there with it and is hard to remove once its in there .I've got the paramount pro in 45 so my loads are much hotter it will run 112 gr by weight or 160 gr by volume .with out a break its a heck of a lot of recoil.start low and build for accuracy .

Don't underestimate the energy the lighter powder charges carry .my dad only runs a 245 Powerbelt and a 100 gr charge its not supposed to be good for elk but I've seen two hit the dirt one at 90 plus and the other at 40 neither went much more than 40 yds after accuracy over power .I'd do shoot a heavy load in my 50 tho a 338 and 150 gr is what one likes .here is the elk shot at 40 

4883.jpeg

I just got my Paramount dialed in with 105 gr by weight of Blackhorn 209.  Seems to shoot a bit better than 1 moa.  Plenty good ballistics wise to about 500 from what I can tell.  Hoping I smack me a decent Coues in 33 next month.

5 hours ago, DonkeyMan said:

I just got my Paramount dialed in with 105 gr by weight of Blackhorn 209.  Seems to shoot a bit better than 1 moa.  Plenty good ballistics wise to about 500 from what I can tell.  Hoping I smack me a decent Coues in 33 next month.

Good luck on your hunt .I was out with my paramount pro last week shooting 112gr by weight new paramount high limit and was 1and a half moa in the wind on Sunday .made the 300 yd plate ring on a bet from the bench next to me.