bowhunter-tw

Boots help

What uninsulated boots have yall found to have good waterproofing, stabilization, but still compliant enough for rocky hiking? I recently purchased some zamberlan guide 960 GTX and they are too stiff for me, the soles seem kinda hard too so they slide off rocks. My old pair of boots were some danner high grounds which have been very comfortable but are way worn out (8-9yrs old).

I was on my 2nd pair of  Meindl Perfect Hiker, made for Cabelas. The first pair lasted 5+ years. The uppers are still in good shape but the sole is worn out. The second pair lasted a year, then the soles started delaminating. Very comfortable boots, but a bit heavy. In June I bought a pair of Crispi Valdres. More comfortable than the Meindl's, and lighter weight. Required very little break in. Did a 15 mile backpack trip a week after purchase with no issues. Love these boots! Ross Outdoors and Archery Headquarters carries Crispi boots.

• Like 1

The best boots I’ve ever owned are the Lowa Tibet GTX. They were great right out of the box, never have had any trouble in some of this nasty terrain here in NM. I do put boot wax or cream on them and then spray them with silicone. I’ve never owned a pair of water proof boots that stayed waterproof if you didn’t wax/cream and spray them.

I have been using Keen Targhee for the last 10 years or so.  They are tough, yet the most comfortable boots I've found.  I'll put 10-15 miles a day on them for 1-2 weeks straight, across all kinds of cross country including whatever rock scrambling is required with no foot issues.  I use mid height boots- not sure if you like taller ones.

Lowa Tibet, Salomon quest 4d

• Like 1

Salomon quest gtx 4

juat bought a pair of la sportiva raptor gtx but have only worn one hike so far. They are great and going to slap some hard miles on them this week. 
also have the Salomon quest 3 mids that are good but no ankle support. 
none of the above are very waterproof 

a lot of times I just go with trail runners. Altra lone peak

Its an individual fit/ comfort thing.  I use kennetrek and crispi's right now. The Crispis are more comfortable right away but do not offer as much support as the Kennetreks.  Both have their place imo. 

• Like 1

My issue is I bought the gtx thinking they would provide more support especially since I broke my talus bone in my foot about a year ago and still having to do PT to strengthen the stabilizing muscles, but they seem so stiff the end up hurting my feet worse then my old worn out boots. The crispi valdres sounds like a good option for a slightly more flexible boot that also has support. I will have to go try on some of the suggestions made. I think an 8” boot will be what I look for as I hike through a lot of thick brush and I think the height will keep things out of my boots and improve stability

I've used Danners, Rockies, Crispi Valdres, Lowa Zephyrs, Solomon GTX 4, and have a pair of Tibets on the way. Out of the box, the Solomons are my favorite, but I did 50ish miles packing last year and the sole almost felt too soft and I could feel the rocks underneath with a heavy load. They also don't last me very long. I liked the Valdres and Lowas, but a good soaking shrank both significantly. The Rockies take forever to break in, and the longevity is hit and miss, but once they are broke in, they are great.

I was looking between the Tibets and Nevadas, but decided to go with something more heavy duty and went with Tibets. 

• Like 1

Crispi Nevada's. If you try them on you'll end up buying a pair. They feel great and are tuff as they get. Good luck and let us know what you get.

• Like 1