PineCountryHunter

Unit 1 or 3a/3c

Curious what unit you would pick for a DIY archery bull hunt. What unit do you think has better chance at trophy class bull and elk density? I am going to be putting in for one of these next year and I would think with 14 points should be in the bonus pass. I know both units very well and have helped others harvest bulls in both units. Just interested to see what everyone else would do. 

I'm not an expert by any means, but my amateur observation is that 3A/C is not what it used to be.  The elk just don't seem to be there in the numbers they once were.   A lot of people think it is the horses.  They may be right.  The horses are everywhere, and they seem to drive elk off of water.

• Like 2

Depends-

1 has more elk and has areas that are easier to hunt-

3C can be really rough with a chance at a bigger bull- but smaller area.  

1 is cooler and better scenery 

its like picking a blonde or brunette 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For real though, too many tags, too many fires, too many side by sides. I'd be looking at 9, 10, 23.

• Like 5

The good thing about 3C is the roads.  They’re everywhere.  It will help you big time if you get one down.

4 hours ago, PineCountryHunter said:

I know 23 very well but would take to long to draw…not interest in 9 or 10, don’t know a thing about those units. Rather stick to units I know 

The rut is coming up soon. Why dont you take a weekend or 2 up there and check em out. That'll give you a decent indicator for what you truly want for next year

• Like 2

7 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

3a3c 100%

What he said

Learn 9 and 10, way better age class at this moment. I love 1 and 27 but dang age class is down comparably 

• Like 2