marlin

Trail cameras / water holes / what's next ?

So with the ban of cameras  going into effect  next year, what else can we expect  from our AZGFD ?  And  oh don't  forget about no  hunting around water   with in a 1/4 of a mile . And don't  forget another crappy  law no archery hunting with in a 1/4 mile of a structure /building ,  how did this ever even get past . ( Someone in  AZGFD must of had a situation  with a bow  hunter or not)

When  it comes to  unethical hunting ((This is a very slippery slope one might say )) THEY  could make it seem like  everything We  / as in   hunters are doing something bad or Unethical . Food for thought  . 

[ Ethical   or Unethical  , unfair  advantage ?? ]15x56 swarovski  binoculars and BTX  Spotter, Twin spotters , Range finders , scopes with ballistic  turrets, long range guns , long range muzzleloaders , compound bows  with range finders and slider type sights ,  the use of a bird dog , bassboat with a fish finder, [BEST OF ALL WHAT about a Game Wardens - that HUNT ,in the UNIT  that  they patrol  would  that be considered  UNETHICAL /unfair advantage] the list could go on . Depending  on who wants to input there  own views  or what they don't  like .

As hunters  we need to stand together  as one. EVEN if you don't  like them or even if  you don't  use them .I use cameras  mostly  to see what's out there  , at this time I haven't  killed  any thing( just time and batteries) from a camera,  ( like many of you , I have had my own problems with people taken them ,I would like to say  they borrowed  them at some point I might get them back  ,but NO THEY FLAT OUT STOLED  THEM.)it's a tool , just like my quad ,side by side ,spotter ,binoculars,  etc  but Mostly  with the cameras , it was something  that we as a family  did together . (We )me and my boy would set cameras  and after a while pull the sd cards  ,we all would sit by the computer  and check out what's on them deer ,pig , bears  , LOST PEOPLE with back packs,   Etc .

What's are  our options  ,now that this is done ?  Can we start a petition  to get it changed ?  Or can we get the people in these positions  REMOVED .If so how many signatures  would it take ?  Can we make   AZGFD to show us proof of how these cameras are  soooooo bad .Is there any groups , Guides or Outfitters  ,Trailcamera manufactures   starting a lawsuit , Big box stores helping to stop this stuff from happening  ?

I also understand  that in ''some Units'' it's very bad , with camera's   on tanks  ,people stealing  them , or just damaging them . Sound like they might need to do more law enforcement out there. Add a few decoy cameras with tracking  devices  into them and catch a few of these AKA bad guys . Let me know your thoughts  . 

I personally love trail cameras.  I have yet to shoot an animal I have a pic of. No problem there, but up by the big ditch, there is big money involved and AZGFD is morphing into big brother more than it's there to manage wildlife for our enjoyment.  I always prefer less bureaucratic involvement.   Some will say "get over it".  My response to that type of comment involves a didgit

• Like 1

The next thing coming is a total ban of lead bullets.

It's already being pushed by the bird huggers.

You can not hunt within a 1/4 mile of water!?   

I was not aware of this law?   When did this happen?

• Like 1

While I do not agree with the trail camera ban, although I hate what trail cameras have become in this state. Seeing a dozen or more cameras at a water hole disgusts me. The pictures of outfitters with their prized collections of hundreds or thousands of cameras makes me want to vomit. However, AZGFD doesn't have the authority to resolve this issue. The rule as currently written is ridiculous and unenforceable and will make the problem worse, not better. It has made a criminal of a father who puts out 2-3 cameras with his kids prior to a hunt while leaving a litany of loopholes open for those who are commercializing hunting.

I am interested in your comment about hunting around water. I am not aware of that rule being in place anywhere other than the Big Bo ranch, where it is a ranch rule and not an AZGFD requirement. However, with the increase in OTC tag sales and the improvement of many other hunting tools and methods, not hunting water is a tool we may want to consider more.

I heard someone once state that we cannot continue to improve the pump without also improving the well. In the case of hunting, so many advancements have been made that increase efficacy (trail cameras, optics, rangefinders, etc) that increase in harvest is inevitable. Because the # of deer we have in this state is not increasing at the same rate that harvest is, we either have to limit efficacy or reduce opportunity. With so many deer being harvested over water, one option for maintaining OTC archery opportunity might be to disallow hunting over water instead of converting the archery hunt to draw only. This would preserve opportunity while also reducing efficacy.

Would you rather give up sitting water or have OTC hunts converted to a draw?

2 hours ago, zslayer said:

You can not hunt within a 1/4 mile of water!?   

I was not aware of this law?   When did this happen?

Only on certain private properties, like the Big Bo in unit 10.

• Like 1

Hopefully they ban the commission and auction tags. Instead of a governors tag. Make an Eagle Scout tag. Give a kid 365 days to give it a go. Not some dude on a horse with a pack of guides and a satchel of gold coins.

If I become the governor of AZ can I keep the governor tags for myself!?