Flatlander

2023 Guideline Recommendations

For those who are interested, the dealines for submitting recommendations for the 2023 - 2028 hunt guidelines closes on Wednesday 9/1. I finally finished typing up a number of recommendations I have been considering for the past 18 months. Feel free to read what I submitted in the attached file. I'd be interested to see what others think of my suggestions. Keep in mind that many of them propose changes to the actual AAC and can't just be changed through hunt guidelines. If there is something that has been on your mind, now ithe time to speak up and let the department hear your voice.

AG Hunt Guideline Recommendations 2021.docx

• Like 3

Thinking out loud.  With the addition of cam laws it would be nice to see them open up predator hunting to nighttime with more than just flashlights and add kittys back into the mix. Id love to see them allow nightvision and thermals into the nightime arsenal and allow the take of lions and Bobcats.  Thanks Andrew.  

44 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

For those who are interested, the dealines for submitting recommendations for the 2023 - 2028 hunt guidelines closes on Wednesday 9/1. I finally finished typing up a number of recommendations I have been considering for the past 18 months. Feel free to read what I submitted in the attached file. I'd be interested to see what others think of my suggestions. Keep in mind that many of them propose changes to the actual AAC and can't just be changed through hunt guidelines. If there is something that has been on your mind, now ithe time to speak up and let the department hear your voice.

AG Hunt Guideline Recommendations 2021.docx

You suggested some interesting ideas.  I don't agree with all of them, but definitely 80%.  Great job!!!

• Like 2

My thoughts on your comments...

eliminate crossbows during archery season??.I have talked to” hunters” bragging of 140:yard shots during archery antelope with their compounds and adjustable  sights .  And crossbows are the issue?  NOT.  It’s  technology.

same with muzzleloader hunting. Colorado restricts scopes and sabots .  AZ should do the same. 

antelope hunts in New Mexico are 3 days.  Their population is in great shape compared to ours. Cut our seasons, make people scout.

mandatory reporting.., our candy butt GF doesn’t want to lose revenue, but NM, the Navajo Nation and others will block you from applying if you don’t do  mandatory reporting.   Ratios are BS. Mandatory reporting for EVERY big game animal hunt or you’re out of the draw next year or five. 

Just my thoughts.   And I am touchy on those of you “bow hunters” who want to eliminate crossbows from the archery season.  After threee shoulder surgeries and admitting I cannot  accurately and ethically shoot a bow anymore, I have a permit and an X bow.  But as stated above, the “ ethical” hunters flinging arrows out to 150 yards at live targets  make me realize I am not the problem for the future of “bow hunting” by the harvest ratios. I started with a Bear Grizzly,  25 yards was max range. Most “bow hunters” now don’t even have a  20 yard pin.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

My thoughts on your comments...

eliminate crossbows during archery season??.I have talked to” hunters” bragging of 140:yard shots during archery antelope with their compounds and adjustable  sights .  And crossbows are the issue?  NOT.  It’s  technology.

same with muzzleloader hunting. Colorado restricts scopes and sabots .  AZ should do the same. 

antelope hunts in New Mexico are 3 days.  Their population is in great shape compared to ours. Cut our seasons, make people scout.

mandatory reporting.., our candy butt GF doesn’t want to lose revenue, but NM, the Navajo Nation and others will block you from applying if you don’t do  mandatory reporting.   Ratios are BS. Mandatory reporting for EVERY big game animal hunt or you’re out of the draw next year or five. 

Just my thoughts.   And I am touchy on those of you “bow hunters” who want to eliminate crossbows from the archery season.  After threee shoulder surgeries and admitting I cannot  accurately and ethically shoot a bow anymore, I have a permit and an X bow.  But as stated above, the “ ethical” hunters flinging arrows out to 150 yards at live targets  make me realize I am not the problem for the future of “bow hunting” by the harvest ratios. I started with a Bear Grizzly,  25 yards was max range. Most “bow hunters” now don’t even have a  20 yard pin.

All understandable points. If you notice in my recommendation I suggested that they either remove crossbows from archery seasons OR tighten the requirements for obtaining one.

If I could think of a way to keep guys from shooting 100 yds with compounds I would be all for it.

I like the Colorado muzzleloader requirements. But even just limiting scope power to 4x would do a lot.

• Like 2

Some good ideas i think.  I dont agree with all of them, but I'm not supposed to.  Crossbows can be in issue but I feel like it's fairly isolated to a few dicks.  I ran into a guy on my last antelope hunt that shot a buck at 140 yards with his crossbow.  Guys do it with compounds too, but it takes a little more skill because there is now tripod involved.  Really tough issue to solve imo.  

Good on you for actually sending in ideas on changes you'd like to see happen.  I think mandatory harvest reporting should be a big push this go around.  Its the ONLY way to get accurate info.

Thanks for taking the time to send that in and share here. Changing the October youth hunt is a great idea. Even swapping it with the turkey hunt the week before. We spend the week scouting hoping to tag out the first few days but if not, he just misses school 😂😂

I agree on mandatory reporting also. Insane we have unlimited OTC deer, especially in this day of social media sharing and YouTube people pushing it. It’s not a secret anymore 

Not too sure about a couple of recommendations but at least you are letting your voice be heard. I might go along with tightening the crossbow requirements but not eliminating them during an archery hunt. I was anti crossbow until I lost 50% use of my left arm. It changed my perspective completely. I live to hunt desert mule deer and the thought of sitting out the late hunts is not something I want to think about.

• Like 1

Or would you archers be willing to cut your season short and open it up to crossbow permit holders/handicap persons?

I don't think most guys would go along with that.

For reporting...... I recently went to Washington State and they have made it so that if you do not turn in your harvest reports (salmon, steelhead, crab, deer, elk, etc...) you have to pay an additional fee the next year.  I thought it was a good win/win for those that don't want to report and the G&F Dept. gets additional revenue.

• Like 1

You do make some good points.I'd like the mandatory report.I think it would give an accurate count of take and could help in some units and hurt in others.the muzzy deal is a different subject the muzzy hunters are at a disadvantage compared to rifle hunts and in most cases archery as we only get one shot .good or bad it takes to long to reload .yes some will say scopes give it an advantage but if you look at the ballistics and energy most will not make shots past 300 yds there is always the few that have the big dollars and the skill to shoot past that but it's a very small few.I do see the need for crossbows as I've had 3 surgeries my self and can relate again there are those who will and do take advantage its a very slippery slope when you jump in and wish to see things go away as others may wish to take away the things they see you do as well .I say to each his own and true hunters should have ethics and basic standards for shot placement and ability and stick to those principals.

• Like 1