Flatlander

2023 Guideline Recommendations

Restrict this, restrict that blah blah blah. Here we go again with restricting everything some of us feel is unfair. Keep pushing restrictions and see where it gets you. 

If your going to restrict things might as well throw in the optics and rifles allowing people to shoot 1000 yards and more. Oh wait, no can’t do that cuz it gets into your wheel house. 

Keep up the restrictions bandwagon, soon it will be something you love to use. What a freaking JOKE!

• Like 4

On 8/31/2021 at 10:08 AM, creed said:

Or would you archers be willing to cut your season short and open it up to crossbow permit holders/handicap persons?

I don't think most guys would go along with that.

Can't you use a crossbow during rifle season?

• Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

On 9/2/2021 at 11:44 AM, huntlines said:

Restrict this, restrict that blah blah blah. Here we go again with restricting everything some of us feel is unfair. Keep pushing restrictions and see where it gets you. 

If your going to restrict things might as well throw in the optics and rifles allowing people to shoot 1000 yards and more. Oh wait, no can’t do that cuz it gets into your wheel house. 

Keep up the restrictions bandwagon, soon it will be something you love to use. What a freaking JOKE!

Actually, I don't shoot long range. I have never in my life dialed a turret to shoot an animal. I've also never adjusted a slider on a bow site. 

I would love to see the long range game adjusted. I think it's grossly overused by mostly incompetent shooters who practice far less than they should and almost never search for lost game. I think its the worst thing that has happened to hunting in the last 50 years. I just haven't been able to think of an enforceable way to change it. If you have suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I am not a big government supporter. I do not like new regulation. However, when it comes to hunting we can only improve the pump for so long without improving the well before it runs dry. Time to throttle back the pump a little bit.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Can't you use a crossbow during rifle season?

I could but I choose not to.  I wouldn't use one during rifle season anyway  because I don't own one.

On 8/29/2021 at 3:24 PM, Flatlander said:

For those who are interested, the dealines for submitting recommendations for the 2023 - 2028 hunt guidelines closes on Wednesday 9/1. I finally finished typing up a number of recommendations I have been considering for the past 18 months. Feel free to read what I submitted in the attached file. I'd be interested to see what others think of my suggestions. Keep in mind that many of them propose changes to the actual AAC and can't just be changed through hunt guidelines. If there is something that has been on your mind, now ithe time to speak up and let the department hear your voice.

AG Hunt Guideline Recommendations 2021.docx

You had me until the older age pronghorn.  Tells me you don’t really know what you’re talking about.  All the research says the bigger antelope are 2-4 years of age.  They don’t need the age class like deer and elk.    As mentioned already I don’t like all the restrictions you want.  

29 minutes ago, Northern Pintail said:

You had me until the older age pronghorn.  Tells me you don’t really know what you’re talking about.  All the research says the bigger antelope are 2-4 years of age.  They don’t need the age class like deer and elk.    As mentioned already I don’t like all the restrictions you want.  

You must have listened to MeatEater this morning 😁

I’m no biologist I’m a freaking construction worker but what I would like is for AZGFD to only count mature breeding age bucks in their survey.

The font is too small, and the points have no separation.  Hard to read.  G&F will pitch it in the round file.

11 hours ago, Flatlander said:

You must have listened to MeatEater this morning 😁

I’m no biologist I’m a freaking construction worker but what I would like is for AZGFD to only count mature breeding age bucks in their survey.

Nope haven’t heard the podcast you’re talking about.   I talk to the actual biologists!!!    One year old males do breed but I’m not sure if they count towards the percent of available bucks.   I’d have to go look at the guidelines again.  

they manage for a harvest of 15-25% of available bucks.   That’s a pretty low number.  

46 minutes ago, Northern Pintail said:

Nope haven’t heard the podcast you’re talking about.   I talk to the actual biologists!!!    One year old males do breed but I’m not sure if they count towards the percent of available bucks.   I’d have to go look at the guidelines again.  

they manage for a harvest of 15-25% of available bucks.   That’s a pretty low number.  

The input I received from a WM was that they were still  instructed to include ALL male pronghorn, regardless of age, in the count. I simply would like them to only count sexually mature animals. If we are targeting 15-25% of all male antelope including young of the year, that’s very different than 15-25% of sexually mature animals.

I suggested the department change the general archery deer kill cap in a unit from 20% to 35% to allow for more OTC hunting. They have been using the same cap percentages for like 30 years, and there are far far more archery hunters now, by percentage, than there were back then. Its only fair guys. Its only fair.

2 hours ago, Sneaker said:

I suggested the department change the general archery deer kill cap in a unit from 20% to 35% to allow for more OTC hunting. They have been using the same cap percentages for like 30 years, and there are far far more archery hunters now, by percentage, than there were back then. Its only fair guys. Its only fair.

I agree that the percent maybe needs to go up but you can't just change that number without reducing rifle tags, which i have no issue on.  The issue is they don't manage off a population estimate or a specific number of deer they are trying to kill.  If they would do a population estimate and say 1000 deer are to be killed, the math on how many rifle tags there should be is easy

2 hours ago, Flatlander said:

The input I received from a WM was that they were still  instructed to include ALL male pronghorn, regardless of age, in the count. I simply would like them to only count sexually mature animals. If we are targeting 15-25% of all male antelope including young of the year, that’s very different than 15-25% of sexually mature animals.

You're right that it is all males and changes the percentages dramatically.  The 15 to 25 only kicks in if the unit meets all guidelines, and I don't know of a unit that is making 35 to 45 fawns per 100 does.   

There is no reason in the year 2021 to not have harvest reporting. 

How to keep people from lying about their success or non success will never be solved without mandatory check stations ....... which will never happen.

Even so, it will still be much more accurate than "guessing" .

28 minutes ago, JSR said:

There is no reason in the year 2021 to not have harvest reporting. 

How to keep people from lying about their success or non success will never be solved without mandatory check stations ....... which will never happen.

Even so, it will still be much more accurate than "guessing" .

I think mandatory reporting will happen with the institution of electronic tags they will be going to. 

• Like 1