Flatlander

2023 Guideline Recommendations

Yup, mandatory harvest reporting is a MUST.  Don't complete your report, you do not get to apply for the following season.  If you get caught lying on your report, 1 year revocation and 5 year hiatus from applying for big game.  I am confused on why Game and Fish is so against Mandatory harvest reporting.  The burden on the hunter reason does not pass the smell test.  

• Like 4

On 9/21/2021 at 2:11 PM, HuntHarder said:

Yup, mandatory harvest reporting is a MUST.  Don't complete your report, you do not get to apply for the following season.  If you get caught lying on your report, 1 year revocation and 5 year hiatus from applying for big game.  I am confused on why Game and Fish is so against Mandatory harvest reporting.  The burden on the hunter reason does not pass the smell test.  

They are worried that older hunters will be fazed out because of online issues. 

3 hours ago, Northern Pintail said:

Really?  They have stated this is the reason?  If so, there are other ways to get them to report their kill.  

I’m older, I’ll get  my daughter or SIL to report it like I do with most “on the line” crap.  Totally in favor of100% reporting requirements ..

• Like 1

Based on today’s commission meeting it seems that mandatory reporting is gaining some traction.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Northern Pintail said:

If this were really their concern they would not have gone to online only applications 

• Like 2

The reasoning that harvest reporting will discourage hunter participation doesn’t make sense. Dove hunting probably has more participation than any other species and harvest reporting is required federally. Heck for my migratory stamp they ask me about all kinds of species that I am pretty sure no one has ever hunted in the history of man. Still doesn’t stop anyone from going dove hunting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Flatlander,

"Consider splitting archery elk hunts into 2 separate hunts, 1 week each, while maintaining overall permit numbers in lieu of the current 2 week season structure. (I.e. A hunt      with 100 tags would now be split into 2 hunts, each with 50 tags). This will result in increased revenue for the department..."

How does selling two hunts with 50 tags each going to bring in more revenue for the department than one hunt with 100 tags?

Also, you must really feel strongly about the antelope proposals, since you list the same full list of suggestions two different times!

• Like 1

The two archery elk hunt idea would be great if the archery cow tag holders kept the longer season still and the bull tags got split.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:39 AM, Northern Pintail said:

Interesting. I'm 69 and have been using computers and been online for over 30 years.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 8:47 PM, NOTAGS said:

My thoughts on your comments...

eliminate crossbows during archery season??.I have talked to” hunters” bragging of 140:yard shots during archery antelope with their compounds and adjustable  sights .  And crossbows are the issue?  NOT.  It’s  technology.

same with muzzleloader hunting. Colorado restricts scopes and sabots .  AZ should do the same. 

antelope hunts in New Mexico are 3 days.  Their population is in great shape compared to ours. Cut our seasons, make people scout.

mandatory reporting.., our candy butt GF doesn’t want to lose revenue, but NM, the Navajo Nation and others will block you from applying if you don’t do  mandatory reporting.   Ratios are BS. Mandatory reporting for EVERY big game animal hunt or you’re out of the draw next year or five. 

Just my thoughts.   And I am touchy on those of you “bow hunters” who want to eliminate crossbows from the archery season.  After threee shoulder surgeries and admitting I cannot  accurately and ethically shoot a bow anymore, I have a permit and an X bow.  But as stated above, the “ ethical” hunters flinging arrows out to 150 yards at live targets  make me realize I am not the problem for the future of “bow hunting” by the harvest ratios. I started with a Bear Grizzly,  25 yards was max range. Most “bow hunters” now don’t even have a  20 yard pin.

I agree. 

Neck injury prevents me from ethically shooting a bow.  Crossbow permits are for hunters with disabilities.  Nerve damage is hard to see so be careful talking about abuses. If you met me in the field you may think I am not disabled but I cannot perform the repetitive motion needed to practice.  I have never fired my crossbow past 40 yards.  Not even in practice.  That's not why I bought one or get the permit.  Still snuck to 10 yards to kill a Javelina with it.  My #1 reason to obtain the permit was that I love to hunt Javelina in January.

• Like 5

On 9/28/2021 at 6:19 AM, PRDATR said:

Interesting. I'm 69 and have been using computers and been online for over 30 years.

Not everyone is as talented as you!   It really isn’t that difficult and these days it’s hard to anything without using online mechanisms 

On 9/24/2021 at 7:39 AM, Northern Pintail said:

As mentioned the draw system is online and it is a cluster f##k. They have no concerns about that. I have had dealings with G&F yahoo’s. They have an excuse/reason for everything when it comes to their agenda. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 3:16 PM, StickFlicker said:

Flatlander,

"Consider splitting archery elk hunts into 2 separate hunts, 1 week each, while maintaining overall permit numbers in lieu of the current 2 week season structure. (I.e. A hunt      with 100 tags would now be split into 2 hunts, each with 50 tags). This will result in increased revenue for the department..."

How does selling two hunts with 50 tags each going to bring in more revenue for the department than one hunt with 100 tags?

Also, you must really feel strongly about the antelope proposals, since you list the same full list of suggestions two different times!

They tried the archery elk hunts split a few year ago, not sure if it was statewide.

Seemed like it did not get much support at the time and I think it would still get the negative support it did then.

Honestly hope they do not even consider that

8 hours ago, vitalzone said:

They tried the archery elk hunts split a few year ago, not sure if it was statewide.

Seemed like it did not get much support at the time and I think it would still get the negative support it did then.

Honestly hope they do not even consider that

-I think it was in 6A