Flatlander

2023 Guideline Recommendations

Tighten up the requirements, give Xbow hunters a separate season.  Create another class of tags, crossbow tags and take them and time  from the archery, muzzy and rifle hunts. ban them altogether, bitch about it or do nothing.

Or go before the commission and try to get it changed.

Not sure anyone is bitching here, simply having a discussion on a discussion forum.  Cross"bows" are a tough subject.  I understand how guys, who have always been bowhunters, want to continue bowhunting. Even if their bodies tell them they can not.  It is simply a passion of many hunters and I would say most bowhunters love it because we get more time in the field, better season dates and the animals are usually easily visible.   So I understand the passion and the want to continue to hunt during the archery season.  The facts are, if I cock a crossbow for just about anyone, they will be able to be fairly accurate off of a tripod and hit what they are aiming at.  The same can not be said for any compound bow.  

At what point do you realize that maybe your body is telling you that you are no longer able to bowhunt, so it is time to pick up a rifle and switch to the general season?  Or do you stop halfway and start muzzleloading?  Slightly later seasons but less pressure on the animals vs. the general hunt.  I know when I went to Alaska for a Caribou hunt I realized that I am gonna have to go back for a moose hunt here soon, because my body might not be able to pack out 130lb moose quarters, miles over the tundra here in 10 years.  It was hard enough at 35, I could only imagine packing a moose out at 47.  F that.  Sometimes you just gotta listen to your body.  

No need to get sour when guys have different opinions.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BOHNTR said:

I understand disabilities, etc., and sympathize with those who REALLY have a one.  However, once you’re officially deemed permanently disabled and can no longer draw a bow, then it’s time to choose another weapon/season…..or a CHAMP type hunt. Crossguns are not a bow and arrow and should not be allowed in the archery seasons, IMO.  Just as muzzleloaders, pistols, and shotguns are not a bow and arrow and should not be allowed in the archery seasons.  Perhaps it’s time they create a HAM season where crossgunners can hunt?  

Earlier this year I saw a ‘disabled’ crossgunner literally running down a ridge to try and intercept a deer……hiked his way back to his side by side, lifted a heavy ice chest from the back, and sat there enjoying a beverage.  It’s time to redefine who can actually use a crossgun and what season it truly belongs in.  Again, just my opinion.  

Just because you have a disability doesn’t always mean you cannot shoot a bow, right?  (Photo). 

8E765241-D3EC-48BB-B297-FA1A44FEC4F6.jpeg

Eric shot a pretty nice mule deer a years back with a bow and one arm

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/2021/08/24/4-time-arizona-paralympic-archer-eric-bennett-going-tokyo-win-big-game/8116037002/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

No need to get sour when guys have different opinions.  

Wasn't aware I was being sour. My point is this has been discussed and there are still crossbows being used during archery hunts. If a person feels that strongly about it take it to the commission or whatever powers that be and petition for change instead of bitching about it. It has to start somewhere.

• Like 1

I will be sour and I will tell it how it is, I see it more every season. there’s a lot of sorry butt dudes using crossguns and getting champ tags instead of putting in for general rifle or just accepting that they can’t do it. Not all of them, but many are. Boomers are the most entitled generation. Not much integrity left in the sport 

• Like 2

Good recommendations and I agree with most of them.  I've always thought that some primitive weapons season (longbow/recurve, open sights muzzy, open sights rifle, etc) would make it possible to add more tags/seasons to some units while keeping harvest objectives in check(lower success).  Would also spread out the applicants amongst more choices in a particular unit.  The biggest problem, however, is that we are dealing with an archaic bureaucracy that is incredibly slow to change/adapt/think outside the box.

6 hours ago, creed said:

If you point guard should take a bp following season as well. No hunts fir that species the following  yesr May change peeps ability to manipulate the system

Boomers are the most entitled generation. Not much integrity left in the sport

Don’t know what I am entitled to but I will agree there is not much integrity left in the sport.  It’s about money. And the system is designed to be abused because of it. 

I don’t see many crossbow hunters but the ones I do see are usually younger guys  

The late archery rut hunts are getting completely overhunted.  Go to a draw instead of OTC. That would make make it choose your weapon and eliminate a lot of people. Ban crossbows during archery hunts but create a crossbow only season to help offset lost revenue. Maybe put some integrity back into the sport. But that’s not going to happen. It would take away hunting opportunity and money from the department.  To heck with the condition of the deer herd or quality of the hunt. 

Get rid of OTC tags for non residents.

• Like 2

Only 'boomers' I know with crossbows exemptions are injured vets...so entitled (sarcasm).

On 10/12/2021 at 10:55 AM, HuntHarder said:

Easy with the ignorant comments part.  Guy has an opinion.  Is he not allowed to have it without you telling him he's ignorant?  

He is ignorant (lacking knowledge or comprehension) in that he does not have specific knowledge of the other hunters physical condition or health.  An opinion is not the same as making assumptions and judgments.  

There were subsequent ignorant comments regarding disability.  I can lift an ice chest, I can run after game.  I can do most things and don't "look" disabled.  I have a very specific problem with impinged nerves in my neck.  Pushing and pulling are main the issue for me and cause aggravation of the nerves. This causes weakness and numbness in my hands. I can draw a bow. (I shouldn't) I cannot repeatedly draw a bow therefore I cannot practice.  I guess I could only draw a bow on hunts and fling arrows unethically.  You would know none of this seeing me put an ice chest in my truck. Therefore making any assumption regarding my crossbow permit is ignorant.  

We have these same petty arguments about guns.  Why do you need a magnum and shoot a deer at 700 yards, blah, blah, blah.... Who cares.  I don't like your pistol, it meets the legal definition but not my personal definition blah, blah, blah.... who cares.  It's this infighting that dooms hunters.  The anti's know exactly how to divide and conquer...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, savagman said:

He is ignorant (lacking knowledge or comprehension) in that he does not have specific knowledge of the other hunters physical condition or health.  An opinion is not the same as making assumptions and judgments.  

There were subsequent ignorant comments regarding disability.  I can lift an ice chest, I can run after game.  I can do most things and don't "look" disabled.  I have a very specific problem with impinged nerves in my neck.  Pushing and pulling are main the issue for me and cause aggravation of the nerves. This causes weakness and numbness in my hands. I can draw a bow. (I shouldn't) I cannot repeatedly draw a bow therefore I cannot practice.  I guess I could only draw a bow on hunts and fling arrows unethically.  You would know none of this seeing me put an ice chest in my truck. Therefore making any assumption regarding my crossbow permit is ignorant.  

We have these same petty arguments about guns.  Why do you need a magnum and shoot a deer at 700 yards, blah, blah, blah.... Who cares.  I don't like your pistol, it meets the legal definition but not my personal definition blah, blah, blah.... who cares.  It's this infighting that dooms hunters.  The anti's know exactly how to divide and conquer...

Its a 2x2 .... end of subject

3 hours ago, savagman said:

Maybe it’s time to hunt with a muzzleloader or rifle?  There’s nothing wrong with that at all.  

• Like 1