Flatlander

2023 Guideline Recommendations

On 10/15/2021 at 9:54 AM, Edge said:

Only 'boomers' I know with crossbows exemptions are injured vets...so entitled (sarcasm).

Great point! I don’t like using the word entitled, usually starts arguments. However, when talking about our vets, if it were up to me......no physicians note required! 

5 hours ago, savagman said:

He is ignorant (lacking knowledge or comprehension) in that he does not have specific knowledge of the other hunters physical condition or health.  An opinion is not the same as making assumptions and judgments.  

There were subsequent ignorant comments regarding disability.  I can lift an ice chest, I can run after game.  I can do most things and don't "look" disabled.  I have a very specific problem with impinged nerves in my neck.  Pushing and pulling are main the issue for me and cause aggravation of the nerves. This causes weakness and numbness in my hands. I can draw a bow. (I shouldn't) I cannot repeatedly draw a bow therefore I cannot practice.  I guess I could only draw a bow on hunts and fling arrows unethically.  You would know none of this seeing me put an ice chest in my truck. Therefore making any assumption regarding my crossbow permit is ignorant.  

We have these same petty arguments about guns.  Why do you need a magnum and shoot a deer at 700 yards, blah, blah, blah.... Who cares.  I don't like your pistol, it meets the legal definition but not my personal definition blah, blah, blah.... who cares.  It's this infighting that dooms hunters.  The anti's know exactly how to divide and conquer...

Prime candidate for a rifle tag 

• Like 2

If he hunts with a rifle / ML'er someone will bash him for shooting too far or using too much tech, etc.

So why not just get bashed by stick flingers and do what you want? Either way, you're getting bashed by someone.

7 minutes ago, JSR said:

If he hunts with a rifle / ML'er someone will bash him for shooting too far or using too much tech, etc.

So why not just get bashed by stick flingers and do what you want? Either way, you're getting bashed by someone.

Get some thicker skin 

Correct.

That's why I recommended he keep hunting with his crossbow and ignore the holier than thou types.

Everyone I know with a crossbow is actually disabled. They do it for the over the counter opportunity.  I can out shoot a short stroke crossbow shooting 14 inch bolts with my compound bow at a standing position all day. These guys don't go very far and usually sit water. And they do hunt rifle. When they get drawn... dont see OTC  handicap tags for rifle so until that happens the true handicap are going to do what they can get away with.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 6:15 AM, BOHNTR said:

Maybe it’s time to hunt with a muzzleloader or rifle?  There’s nothing wrong with that at all.  

No

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 12:22 PM, JSR said:

Correct.

That's why I recommended he keep hunting with his crossbow and ignore the holier than thou types.

Yup.  Sad to see so many grumpy old farts hating on fellow hunters.  

50 minutes ago, savagman said:

Yup.  Sad to see so many grumpy old farts hating on fellow hunters.  

Get over yourself.  Nobody is hating here that I can see.  We’re simply pointing out a few issues with the current rules.  Crossguns have their place……just not in the archery only season.  Perhaps it’s time they have their own?  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, BOHNTR said:

Get over yourself.  Nobody is hating here that I can see.  We’re simply pointing out a few issues with the current rules.  Crossguns have their place……just not in the archery only season.  Perhaps it’s time they have their own?  

This isn't about me.  Many comments here insinuating that crossbow hunters are cheating.  Just fat or hip hurts.  It's tacky to make that assumption and generalization.  I find that sad from this group. 

I am correctly using an exemption carved out for people with a certified disability that prevents them from participating in traditional archery.  Until something changes, I am going to hunt as I see fit.  I don't need permission from the interweb.  I already have the law on my side.  

I am ok with Crossbow tags, don't see the need but if it makes grumpy old farts feel better than ok.  Still going to be only so many tags. 

21 minutes ago, savagman said:

Still going to be only so many tags. 

Yes… and no…

Increasing efficacy reduces the total number of tags available. If the surplus population available for harvest is 100 animals and the success rate is 50% then 200 tags are available. If the success rate increases to 75% then the number of tags is reduced to 133. I think it would be hard to argue that crossbows don’t increase efficacy, how much is debatable.

It would never happen but what about a bowhunter proficiency test? I bet half the guys that pick up a bow can't consistently put 5 arrows in a pie plate at 40yds.

30 minutes ago, creed said:

It would never happen but what about a bowhunter proficiency test? I bet half the guys that pick up a bow can't consistently put 5 arrows in a pie plate at 40yds.

That would be great.  I agree though, i see no chance of it happening.  

I dont think anyone us telling savageman not to crossgun hunt.  What I and maybe others are saying is: Its time to approach agfd about crossguns and make changes.  If a guy has a permanent injury, preventing him from using a bow, he shouldn't be able to crossgun hunt during an archery season.  I think CHAMP season would be better or general. 

53 minutes ago, creed said:

That could be said for all weapon types……flat brimmers trying to shoot their rifle 1000 yards…..muzzy guys trying to shoot 500+  yards……it’s not only archery.  

• Like 1