Flatlander

2023 Guideline Recommendations

I have never hunted with a crossbow. I know little about them. What is the advantage to hunting with one? I hunted with a vet that had taken a rocket hit while in Iraq. This guy was in rough shape. By the time he got it out of the case, string drawn, bipod set up, arrow nocked  a guy with a compound could have emptied 2 quivers on the forky this guy tried to shoot. I just don't see any advantage.

Forgive my ignorance here but I see the term “crossguns”being used a lot in this thread. Is this a new term for crossbows or is this something different? FYI, this debate has been going on for over 20 years that I know of and I don’t really see much need for a change. Is there some big increase in the number of people hunting with them now in Az, or are we just looking for stuff to argue over? I have hunted ALOT of archery seasons and have witnessed very few people using crossbows in the field. 

5 hours ago, creed said:

I have never hunted with a crossbow. I know little about them. What is the advantage to hunting with one? I hunted with a vet that had taken a rocket hit while in Iraq. This guy was in rough shape. By the time he got it out of the case, string drawn, bipod set up, arrow nocked  a guy with a compound could have emptied 2 quivers on the forky this guy tried to shoot. I just don't see any advantage.

This was my experience…hauling the thing around trying to get a stalk was a pain. Maybe just didn’t fit my style of hunting or would have been better sitting instead of spot n stalk. I have family back East that use them exclusively but they’re sitting treestands and blinds and they’re legal for anyone there during archery. 

And no I’m not disabled…sort of fat but my hip doesn’t hurt. I had a permit one season for a shoulder injury. Not disabling but met the criteria for the permit and definitely kept me from drawing a bow until the injury healed. I wouldn’t hunt with one again unless it was my only option.