Sign in to follow this  
bigbuckfever

Great ethics to teach the kids, NOT

So I was able to get away to do a little archery deer hunting this weekend and had a bit of fun except for one incident. The area I was hunting has very little hunting pressure and is pretty remote.   I was driving to a ridgeline I have some salt on early Sunday morning, it was still dark.  Just as I was making the turn to head to the ridge, (there are no other roads forking off this ridge road, It only goes to the end of the ridge and then it dead ends) a side by side coming from the other direction on the road I was on pulled onto the ridge road and got right on my butt and proceeded to follow me.  This road dead ends in less than half a mile, so I pulled over and waved at him to stop so I could see where they were headed so maybe we could both still work the area without pissing each other off.  He blasted right by me and kept going.  I know I don't own the area but I was clearly there first and was trying to make the best out of what was becoming a frustrating morning.  He proceeded out of sight while I sat there fuming.  I decided to just go to the closest vantage point and sit and glass, while they did whatever they were going to do.  There were two grown ups and a youngster with them.  What a great way to teach your kid about hunting ethics.

Had they made the turn before I did, there is no way I would have followed them and crowded 'em.  I would have gone to plan B for the morning.  After all that, they only got out and glassed for less than half an hour and they left.  When I told my buddy about it , he said I should have gone after them and got right on their butt and when they stopped, get out, slam the door, and in a very loud voice say "are you guys here to hunt too?  Maybe we can hunt together" making as much racket as possible.

What would you guys have done?

How big a boy was he? Did he look athletic at all or just fat? I would have followed him after he passed me until there was a physical confrontation and I would have tried bury him there 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, GJMauro12 said:

I wouldn’t of pulled over in the first place. 

Tbh when I read that I was thinking, if I was in the side by side that’s the opportunity I’d be waiting for 

I had a run in with a hunter a few years back in 6a on my dads muzzy hunt park there sxs directly across the water hole we had a blind setup on the day before .nobody around just parked then I glass and catch trail markers going left of the water so can't shoot left or in front.at prime time here comes a guy walking from the left and sits down buy a tree against the sxs.I stick my hand out the blind and wave and he just waved back .I had enough and got out and was politely stating that he can't park his sxs here and bugger up the area. He started to give me crap so I responded to him it's in the regs he is impeding animals to water still got crap till my dad walked up wearing a fish and game hunter saftey instructors hat and then it was all cleared up funny thing is its a California hunter saftey hat as my dad is an instructor there .

13 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

I had a run in with a hunter a few years back in 6a on my dads muzzy hunt park there sxs directly across the water hole we had a blind setup on the day before .nobody around just parked then I glass and catch trail markers going left of the water so can't shoot left or in front.at prime time here comes a guy walking from the left and sits down buy a tree against the sxs.I stick my hand out the blind and wave and he just waved back .I had enough and got out and was politely stating that he can't park his sxs here and bugger up the area. He started to give me crap so I responded to him it's in the regs he is impeding animals to water still got crap till my dad walked up wearing a fish and game hunter saftey instructors hat and then it was all cleared up funny thing is its a California hunter saftey hat as my dad is an instructor there .

So the moral of the ethics story is to make sure you always pack your hunters safety cap for those situations where things are questionable :) 

We were elk hunting out at the tree farms in 3A many years ago! We pulled over to go put a stalk on a group of bulls that were buggered up on a slope that had a couple of cedar trees! right after we got out a truck pulled up behind us to ask what our plans were and we explained hoping to avoid interference. They proceeded to off road exactly in the direction we told them we were going to be working!

About half an hour later we watch G$F come off the hill and give those dirtbags a citation, karma is real!!!

• Like 5

I asked for you're opinions.  I guess ethics mean different things to each of us.  I hope that kid questioned his "hunting partners" about the drivers decision.

6 minutes ago, bigbuckfever said:

I asked for you're opinions.  I guess ethics mean different things to each of us.  I hope that kid questioned his "hunting partners" about the drivers decision.

I guess I'd roll up on them and slam the door and just for shits and giggles set the alarm on the truck and ask what's for breakfast😁 

• Haha 1

Forgive me, but I am going to play devils advocate. Are you sure he knew you were pulling over to talk, and didn't assume you were pulling over to let him pass. I've been on both ends of this many times, letting people pass who were clearly in a bigger hurry than I, and passed people who pulled to the side to let me get by. It seems to be a pretty common courtesy most do. Maybe he incorrectly assumed this is why you pulled over?

Since you asked, If I were in your situation as describe, there is no chance I would have slowed (I actually would have sped up) or done anything to let someone get past me until I was safely at the spot. At that point you can correctly make the claim that you were the first there, and not just a guy driving down the road. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You pulled over giving them the green light to pass.. maybe they were just riding around and not hunting , maybe they were scouting for an upcoming hunt, learning the roads, too many maybes … 

I wouldn’t of pulled over. 

• Like 1

Add me to the list of folks who wouldn't have pulled over.  Especially given it was a dead-end and you were apparently fairly close to the end.  If/when they followed all the way in, I would have taken the opportunity at the dead-end to engage and ask them if they wanted to coordinate locations as to not step on each other's hunt.  If at that time they ignored or didn't want to talk/coordinate, then I would have chalked it up to them just being them, and gone about my business with or without coordination.  Public land, etc.... 

• Like 3

not to steal the thread, but I was out in 4A Friday morning,  being amazed at how many people were camping while checking out some areas I had found deer last year.  Here comes a SXS down the road  about 9:00 a.m. when I was headed out  with two guys in camo, the passenger holding his bow with an arrow knocked and pointed out of the door.  Beautiful image of "hunters" to convey to the people camping who may or may not have an opinion of hunters in general.  Almost all of the campsites on that road  were up and active at that time.