Sign in to follow this  
bigbuckfever

Great ethics to teach the kids, NOT

1 hour ago, bigbuckfever said:

I asked for you're opinions.  I guess ethics mean different things to each of us.  I hope that kid questioned his "hunting partners" about the drivers decision.

Too bad Lark ain't around to line us out on ethics :) 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Joke's aside I'd probably not let them pass and if they did I'd try and stay outa there area and if you could let each other know what your doing .it doesn't always work and yes I've been called a a. Hole for trying to be nice it doesn't always work !! I do let people buy if I'm towing out or in as a sign of respect and I will promptly leave an area with another hunter in it and hope they would do the same .

A few years back some young kid burned past me on a forest road in a side by side with what I later found out was drunk dad in the passenger seat. Thousands of dollars in hunting gear were bouncing out of a now broken harbor freight trailer. My son and I picked up what items we could find and I chased them down honking my horn a foot from the rear bumper. They could not hear or see me so I backed off and a few miles down the road here they come putt putting along back the other direction. I stopped them and gave his dad his bowcase full of gear. He said they lost a pack full of optics and other expensive gear somewhere along the 35 mile loop they were on that I hope he located. The tailgate from the trailer is still out there off the side of the road.

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.  Wow, I guess I wont be pulling over again any time soon!  Lol.  I guess a few more details to the story are necessary.  In my mind at the moment I turned onto that ridge road before he got there, I was relieved I got there first.  Had he gotten there first, I would have been pissed (at myself for not getting there early enough) but I wouldn't have followed him, right on his butt. (that is the main ethical question I had in mind) So when he turned onto it too, I was disappointed and a little pissed. Just to be clear, there was no mistaking my arm gesture out the window to stop.  I didn't flag him by.  I usually stop well short of the beginning of the ridge and walk the rest of the way, still hunting my way to my ground blind and salt.  The road used to stop a few hundred yards past where I park and it was just a cattle trail that has been turned into a road by quads and sxs's.  I knew that if I stopped in my usual spot, he was going to just go on up the road and ruin any chance I might have of sitting my salt, so, I tried to talk to him before we got that far.  That didn't work too well for me.  I thought it was pretty chitty of him to tail me like that since he had to know what was ahead, I mean you don't go to your second or third choice area first thing in the morning, you go to a place you know in the dark.  Even if I hadn't stopped, he would have been going past me and driven thru some prime hunting grounds.  That is why I stopped and tried to get him to stop.  Again thanks for the feedback. 

I had a similar thing happen on opening weekend with a ford raptor. Expected a conversation and they blew passed me while I was opening the gate.  

• Wow! 1

19 hours ago, bigbuckfever said:

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.  Wow, I guess I wont be pulling over again any time soon!  Lol.  I guess a few more details to the story are necessary.  In my mind at the moment I turned onto that ridge road before he got there, I was relieved I got there first.  Had he gotten there first, I would have been pissed (at myself for not getting there early enough) but I wouldn't have followed him, right on his butt. (that is the main ethical question I had in mind) So when he turned onto it too, I was disappointed and a little pissed. Just to be clear, there was no mistaking my arm gesture out the window to stop.  I didn't flag him by.  I usually stop well short of the beginning of the ridge and walk the rest of the way, still hunting my way to my ground blind and salt.  The road used to stop a few hundred yards past where I park and it was just a cattle trail that has been turned into a road by quads and sxs's.  I knew that if I stopped in my usual spot, he was going to just go on up the road and ruin any chance I might have of sitting my salt, so, I tried to talk to him before we got that far.  That didn't work too well for me.  I thought it was pretty chitty of him to tail me like that since he had to know what was ahead, I mean you don't go to your second or third choice area first thing in the morning, you go to a place you know in the dark.  Even if I hadn't stopped, he would have been going past me and driven thru some prime hunting grounds.  That is why I stopped and tried to get him to stop.  Again thanks for the feedback. 

IF I were going to stop to talk to him, I'd stop in the middle of the road, hop out out of the truck onto the road, and wave my arms while walking out in front off his SxS to make my intentions very clear that I wanted to talk and temporarily not give him a passing lane.

• Like 4

This happened to me a couple year ago, except I was the guy driving behind the other. It was prelight on a long skinny road to get to the tank I planned to hunt but got stuck behind a duelly of all things at 4:30 in the morning. Well eventually he pulled over and he was planning to go to the exact same spot. I got his number and told him he could sit my blind. I went to plan B and saw 14 bucks before noon and shot a 6x6 muley. He saw one doe. Sometimes it pays to play nice boys and girls :) 

• Like 6

With less than 1/2 mile to go, I would have not pulled over.

But let's say it was 4-6 miles? I probably would have pulled over. Then I would have driven to the end of the road and spoke to them.  There are miles upon miles they could have gone in a complete opposite direction than I would- 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

If you’re not driving like a bat out of heck, pull tf over imo. 

I agree.  I hate to be the person that has someone behind me and think what I’m doing is more important than what they’re doing.  All I know at the moment is that someone behind me is faster than me, I’ll let them by as a courtesy.  I know nothing of their intentions. 

This is just the way our culture is now.  Pretty divided.  I was out scouting yesterday and came up on a truck on the side of the road.  As I got closer, the hunter rolled up his window as a gesture he didn’t want to talk.  I remember when it was routine to talk to anyone and everyone that you passed on a two track road.  Not to make a new best friend, just to exchange hellos and wish each other luck.  Now no one wants to talk or be friendly.  We’re too competitive for our own good.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

So the moral of the ethics story is to make sure you always pack your hunters safety cap for those situations where things are questionable :) 

We were elk hunting out at the tree farms in 3A many years ago! We pulled over to go put a stalk on a group of bulls that were buggered up on a slope that had a couple of cedar trees! right after we got out a truck pulled up behind us to ask what our plans were and we explained hoping to avoid interference. They proceeded to off road exactly in the direction we told them we were going to be working!

About half an hour later we watch G$F come off the hill and give those dirtbags a citation, karma is real!!!

I know exactly where and what your talking about.  Seen a lot of chit go down back in the HAY days .

• Like 2

I taught my kid to never pull over for anyone unless the have red n blue lights and siren!

1 hour ago, Saguaro said:

I agree.  I hate to be the person that has someone behind me and think what I’m doing is more important than what they’re doing.  All I know at the moment is that someone behind me is faster than me, I’ll let them by as a courtesy.  I know nothing of their intentions. 

This is just the way our culture is now.  Pretty divided.  I was out scouting yesterday and came up on a truck on the side of the road.  As I got closer, the hunter rolled up his window as a gesture he didn’t want to talk.  I remember when it was routine to talk to anyone and everyone that you passed on a two track road.  Not to make a new best friend, just to exchange hellos and wish each other luck.  Now no one wants to talk or be friendly.  We’re too competitive for our own good.

It's possible he rolled the window up because he didn't want all the dust blowing in his truck as you went by.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saguaro said:

I got to the woods or hunting to get away from people!