Sign in to follow this  
bigbuckfever

Great ethics to teach the kids, NOT

3 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

It's possible he rolled the window up because he didn't want all the dust blowing in his truck as you went by.  

Normally yes, but we had rain yesterday and it was a slow crawl on the road.  No dust.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sneaker said:

This happened to me a couple year ago, except I was the guy driving behind the other. It was prelight on a long skinny road to get to the tank I planned to hunt but got stuck behind a duelly of all things at 4:30 in the morning. Well eventually he pulled over and he was planning to go to the exact same spot. I got his number and told him he could sit my blind. I went to plan B and saw 14 bucks before noon and shot a 6x6 muley. He saw one doe. Sometimes it pays to play nice boys and girls :) 

Sneaker,

You nailed it! It is public land so it is always good to have plan A-Z. Disheartening for sure when you have your mind set on a spot but taking the high road is always best. We can’t control others actions but we sure as heck can control our own. It’s supposed to be a hobby, like you said wish them well and if we’ve done our homework it shouldn’t be the end of the world! 

11 hours ago, AZLance said:

I taught my kid to never pull over for anyone unless the have red n blue lights and siren!

your kids gonna get a lot of brights in his driver side rear view mirror then.

I guess this is why they say ethics are different for everyone because I believe blocking a dirt road and not letting someone pass is highly unethical.  When someone comes up behind me I pull over and let them go by I don't expect them to stop and talk.  The woods are crowded these days and to expect someone to stay off your ridge because you parked on it or are driving on it seems unreasonable.  Good thing I can take an approved G$F course now to teach me better. 

• Like 4

We were down south and I was trying to get to an afternoon spot and got cought behind a road hunter. Finally after a mile of going 5 mph he pulled over and let me go around.  I waved and went around. We went about 200 yards and there was 2  3 point bucks standing right off the road.  Slammed on the brakes,  my son and I jumped out and smoked both of them. 

He was not happy ... fn classic. ..

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

We were down south and I was trying to get to an afternoon spot and got cought behind a road hunter. Finally after a mile of going 5 mph he pulled over and let me go around.  I waved and went around. We went about 200 yards and there was 2  3 point bucks standing right off the road.  Slammed on the brakes,  my son and I jumped out and smoked both of them. 

He was not happy ... fn classic. ..

That happened to me in 24b, the one time I let someone by they turned the corner and got a shot 

• Like 1

Most of us have had similar encounters.  A few yrs back opening deer season in 21.

I can remember getting to my spot to park early  , leaving truck and seeing headlights coming up the rd. Yep they stopped and are getting out too. dang.

Ok I know an easy route to my glassing spot. I guess they knew a different route to same general area.  I can see they got to the high ground hillside first. dang .

Plan B. Backtrack and hunt an area i usually pass up . Long story short. I tag a nice 3x3 and have it packed  out, when they come by on their way out. I thanked they kindly and left.!

Had they not intruded.  I  probably wouldn't of gotten my nice buck !

• Like 2

7 hours ago, missedagain said:

I guess this is why they say ethics are different for everyone because I believe blocking a dirt road and not letting someone pass is highly unethical.  When someone comes up behind me I pull over and let them go by I don't expect them to stop and talk.  The woods are crowded these days and to expect someone to stay off your ridge because you parked on it or are driving on it seems unreasonable.  Good thing I can take an approved G$F course now to teach me better. 

As a general rule, I pull over and let somebody by if they come up behind me.  However when I'm about 300 yards from where I intend to park to begin archery hunting right at first light, and they are riding my butt, I feel no obligation to speed up and race to hopefully not make them mad.  When I archery hunt, I am in quiet mode, not arriving full bore and skidding to a stop just so someone who has been riding my a** can fly by me into the spot I intend to hunt.  I would never ride somebody's a** to a spot I was going to be hunting, bow or rifle.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

your kids gonna get a lot of brights in his driver side rear view mirror then.

that's what the glock I bought him is for!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, AZLance said:

that's what the glock I bought him is for!

“Son, they disrespect ya, cap der arse!  “.    Good parenting skills there.  You from Detroit or LA? LOL

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2021 at 12:07 PM, rossislider said:

Forgive me, but I am going to play devils advocate. Are you sure he knew you were pulling over to talk, and didn't assume you were pulling over to let him pass. I've been on both ends of this many times, letting people pass who were clearly in a bigger hurry than I, and passed people who pulled to the side to let me get by. It seems to be a pretty common courtesy most do. Maybe he incorrectly assumed this is why you pulled over?

Since you asked, If I were in your situation as describe, there is no chance I would have slowed (I actually would have sped up) or done anything to let someone get past me until I was safely at the spot. At that point you can correctly make the claim that you were the first there, and not just a guy driving down the road. 

Rossislider, Tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full. Give me a call. Wanna talk to you about your son doing a euro. Thanks man

• Like 1

I grew up spending a ton of time in the dirt and have seen many changes to our etiquette and I don't feel for the better, unfortunately. I've always let the faster driver/rider pass, end of story. It's not my road and whether I'm in the RZR, on a dirt bike, quad, mt bike, or put-puttin in my truck - if you want to go faster than me, it's not my place to dictate anything for any reason. I pull over every time as soon as there is room and will wave you by. Sometimes I cringe when I do it, but it's the right thing to do by the way I was taught and that's the way I teach it.

I don't own the road. Some days, I'm the faster driver/rider and some days I'm not. Pretty simple. Having said that, it's pretty rare that I get passed in the dirt... 😉

• Like 3

I’m constantly reminded on this site, hunting ethics are in the eye of the beholder. Your hunting ethics are not gospel. Hunting now a days sucks due to all the people. Best bet, get OFF the dang roads! I thought road hunting was illegal but a lot of you do it.