border hunter

Glassing bucks in the pines/burns

Looking for some intel on glassing mature mule deer. I've hunted the desert my whole life and consider myself a decent at glassing. I have a late October tag and would like to be focusing on the right areas.

In the mornings will the bucks be feeding on the sunny side of the old burns?

Do they bed in the burns or feed into the pines to bed?

What's your goto method of finding big bucks?

FB_IMG_1629301298623.jpg

On the strip the deer are up form sun up to around 11 AM then after 3 to sun down they start moving. I try finding water holes and concentrate on the draws that naturally funnel in and out.  If that does not work - drive the roads. Saw a huge buck taken off the road 2 years ago in 12AE. Felt like and idiot humping and glassing, were this guy just got lucky.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, oz31p said:

If you find the trick or secret to glassing mature deer please let me know

I'm sure I'll figure it out about day 3 of the 10 day hunt and I'll let you know!

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2021 at 2:13 AM, border hunter said:

Looking for some intel on glassing mature mule deer. I've hunted the desert my whole life and consider myself a decent at glassing. I have a late October tag and would like to be focusing on the right areas.

In the mornings will the bucks be feeding on the sunny side of the old burns?

Do they bed in the burns or feed into the pines to bed?

What's your goto method of finding big bucks?

FB_IMG_1629301298623.jpg

What you’re doing in that pic right there works pretty good. Go check out some of the ridges running north away from the rim. Supposedly there are good bucks there, I’ve just never found them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

What you’re doing in that pic right there works pretty good. Go check out some of the ridges running north away from the rim. Supposedly there are good bucks there, I’ve just never found them.

I saw some 150s running around last month.  The good thing is I have 10 days and it only takes one big buck to make a mistake!

• Like 1