Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Bison Hunting for Youth?

So I have a 9 year old that will be 10 by April 1. He really is pushing me to put him in for Bison. What do i need to know and what hunts should i target for him? 

I am sure it is a bit of a pipe dream, but he can start building points, and it always seem like kids draw hunts adults can't. 

If you want to PM advice that is cool. I have zero experience hunting bison and limited experience on Kaibab. 

Start building points now. He can usually get 2 points a year for Bison. Put in for hunts when you think you/he can afford it and is mentally and physically ready to do the hunt. The cost afterwards is pretty substantial. Processing, taxidermy etc......

I would look at the Raymond Ranch "hunt".  And I use the term "hunt" loosely. 

No telling what the House Rock Ranch hunt will turn into now that USFS/NPS/DOI have gotten involved.

• Like 3

Apply for any and all.  Chances are he will be a young adult or older before he gets a tag.  If he gets lucky and draws, all the hunts are easy enough.  Even the North rim with all the shenanigans that goes on has a good success rate depending on the amount of time committed to the hunt.  

I look for hunts at times that they can dedicate time to the hunt. In the spring we apply for hunts during summer break. In the fall we try for fall break.

If you are doing the 12AW hunt you need time. Preferably a couple of weeks. Without being able to run cams, this will now be a much tougher hunt for DIY hunters. 

• Like 1

If he is not concerned about getting a bull versus a cow as far as the fall hunt go I would put him in for late September and early October hunt as I think the cows are a bit prettier because they've grown a little bit more fur. 

• Like 1

Put him in for the Bab and get the “extra bonus fall Bison Raymond kill pt” every year . This way you’re doubling up points till he draws the tag. If and when he draws the tag hit me up and we can go through all the maps and info I have from my Bull Bison hunt up there . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flatlander said:

I look for hunts at times that they can dedicate time to the hunt. In the spring we apply for hunts during summer break. In the fall we try for fall break.

If you are doing the 12AW hunt you need time. Preferably a couple of weeks. Without being able to run cams, this will now be a much tougher hunt for DIY hunters. 

I don't think the camera ban will have a real effect. Bison leave all sorts of sign (fur, droppings,tracks) and the hunters sit all day anyway. 

On 9/5/2021 at 9:50 PM, idgaf said:

I don't think the camera ban will have a real effect. Bison leave all sorts of sign (fur, droppings,tracks) and the hunters sit all day anyway. 

They leave a lot of sign, but that only tells you part of the story and has strong recency bias. For DIY guys showing up before a hunt they could easily have cameras in half a dozen spots and get the story from the past few weeks. Now, they’ll be limited to whatever they can pick up by dropping in on a spot. Which will probably have a hunter sitting on it.

It tells you the most important thing that they are there.  You lose some nuance but there few average guys that are trophy hunting bison.  

12 hours ago, idgaf said:

If cameras don't make a difference Russ Jacoby wouldn't have been crying his eyes out at the future ban.  With no cameras hunters will have to get in the buffalos wheel house to find where they've been.  The extra disturbance will instantly push them back on the Park.

• Like 3

On 9/6/2021 at 10:37 AM, 654321 said:

If cameras don't make a difference Russ Jacoby wouldn't have been crying his eyes out at the future ban.  With no cameras hunters will have to get in the buffalos wheel house to find where they've been.  The extra disturbance will instantly push them back on the Park.

I mean, yes and no, you still have to get to the camera to check it, which to Fred’s point isn’t any different than checking physical sign.

But not knowing exactly when they were there, if it was 1, 3 or 50 animals. Bulls or cows. Which direction they came from, how long they hung around etc. definitely makes it tougher. That being said, the areas I have seen that Buffalo are hitting hard are pretty obvious. 

What will definitely be tougher is hunting big solitary bulls out of the rut. I don’t know Buffalo sign well enough to tell a bull track from a cow track, let alone a big bull track from an average track.

I will start him building points on the next hunt, and try and get him 2 points a year. 

He says he wants to do this, but I think he needs to kill something before I have to eat a $1000 bison tag because he can't pull the trigger. 

I am going to try and get him a doe hunt asap to try and get him going once he is 10. 

Thank you for the advice everyone. 

23 hours ago, 654321 said:

I said average guys, not the guys making 100k (made up figure) guiding bison hunters. My limited time up there I noticed alot of disturbance. Bison hunters, turkey hunters, mushroom pickers, people in Subarus hiking etc.  Checking a salt block/water tank for sign won't make much difference.