down2hunt

2021 Rut Activity

1 hour ago, Southernhive said:

I heard a couple North west of walnut canyon, but they may have been Hunter's. It was a long way from my location.

Was probably me :) Spent time in that area yesterday early AM and heard nothing other than myself. 

3 hours ago, Southernhive said:

If your bugles were closer, I might have eased over to check it out. 😉

Honestly I was expecting to hear something in that area. Some tracks, but all the tanks were empty and no bugling. Did find some bugling  bulls this am way away from there, but still not what I'd expect to hear in the 19th of Sept. 

Was out looking around for junior hunt next month. Heard some bugles at 11:30 am and thought it was a hunter. Climbed a bit higher and seen 3 different bulls in one area bugling to each other. One was a decent 6x6.

• Like 1

It has really shut down around here. Not sure if it was the full moon or all the people everywhere in the forest. Seems like it should be on fire with this weather. 

• Like 1

I’m up in 10 on the ranch right now scouting for a October cow hunt and it’s quiet. Haven’t heard any activity yet hopefully this evening we’re able to locate them. 

Well update on my previous post.. heard 3 bugles only. 2 were out in a distance and couldn't exactly pin point where it came from and was so thick in junipers that we couldn't get any eyes on him. The last one was about 40 yards from our camp at about 0430 in the morning. Nothing else after that, never spotted a single elk and all the sign we saw was anywhere from a week or so old. It started to get hot again and I'm guessing with that and hunting pressure that's why they shut down. If anyone else was up there I'm curious to see how they did scouting or hunting. Cow hunt is in a couple of weeks, weather looks like its going to cool back down and hopefully I'll have some better news to share then. Best of luck to everyone out there.

I was fortunate enough to spend almost the entire month of September in the woods in 4b and 3C. I’m not sure I ever experienced an overall stronger rut in the over 30 years I’ve hunted elk. There were peaks and valleys through the month but overall it was just solid. The craziest rutting activity I observed was from 9-7 to 9-14 or so. I had multiple bulls broken up by opening day from fighting. Things slowed down after that first week for a few days and then ramped up again. I got greedy and came home empty but it was worth the price of admission. 

• Like 1

I was in unit 9 for a turkey hunt/deer scouting and the rut was going good still. Called a few bulls into my camp during the night. That was fun. Then I caught this big ole 5 point walk into 15 yards to drink water. Buggest elk I ever seen. His backs alone seemed to be over 18 inches. He walked away then I heard him do a few bugles

IMG_20211003_180216_1.jpg

IMG_20211003_180210_1.jpg

IMG_20211003_180119_1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1

Bulls still vocal? I have a friend up there with his 13 year old daughter and she has a cow tag camped near Stoneman. I'm heading up to help out.