Tres

Deer tag donation

I got drawn for a hunt I can’t go on. Any suggestions on which Veteran group I should donate to. 

We would be honored to take out a veteran or child that meets the requirements. Here is more information about Changed By Nature Outdoors. Thanks for the opportunity to help give back no matter what nonprofit you choose to go with. 

982C8F51-E35E-4474-BA3A-4D80CED7E240.jpeg

• Like 2

A suggestion for folks considering donating tags. If you’d like to find out how the organizations do with converting the tag into a meaningful experience for the recipient you can call some of the common outfitters who help out. Some organizations do a great job of sending helpers, providing transportation, meat care etc. Others are less involved and leave most of that up to the recipient or an outfitter who has volunteered to help. Many outfitters are happy to assist, but they also have a business to run and clients to serve. This and the number of tags being donated can leave some of them with a lot on their plate. That may translate into a less than ideal situation for the tag holder.

I know from personal experience that OE4A will not issue a tag unless the proper resources are available to help. They are very careful with the logistics of the hunt and the needs of the hunter.

I have also seen AES hunts for heroes in camp assisting their hunters. Tom goes on as many of those hunts personally as he can. When he can’t be there, he makes sure someone capable will be.

I have also seen a tag holder show up in camp completely unprepared and without a capable helper. Although there was an outfitter available to assist, he also had other paying clients who he had an obligation to. Fortunately there were folks in camp who were able to help that hunt workout.

It takes more than a tag to make this program work and actually provide the intended outcome. Some orgs are better than others at making this happen. My experience is limited to only a few. I am sure there are many who take the time to do this right but like anything else, there are also those who don’t put the work in.

• Like 3

OE4A is a great program. I have been on a few hunts with people through them. I don’t have any experience with the others listed but I am sure they all do a great job. Either way it is great to donate. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tres said:

I called OE4A 

Sounds good, thanks for donating!

All of these organization need volunteer help, if you have time and can help, give them a call.

• Like 1