Jo2012

Flagstaff camping

No restrictions that I'm aware of. Camp away. 🏕 

• Like 1

Thank you guys! Drew the early bull tag heading in tomorrow and just checked this evening for whatever dumb reason? And saw an order for camping and campfire restrictions from Jan 1 2020-Jan 1 2022 scared the bajeeebes outta me as I’m all packed up already 

42 minutes ago, 206 said:

Wide open no problem go kill a big one.

Thanks! That’s what I’m hoping for but would be ecstatic with harvesting any size bull lol. First archery bull tag!

• Like 2

I would be careful about what you leave at camp in plain sight. This is always something to be aware of, but I was recently up scouting south of Flag and there were a lot of interesting looking camps set up. Like a bunch of former urban campers have moved out in to the forest. These were not your typical set ups, and they were all over the roads that’s exit off I-17. Not something I have seen in previous years or anywhere else in AZ

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, DSO123 said:

I would be careful about what you leave at camp in plain sight. This is always something to be aware of, but I was recently up scouting south of Flag and there were a lot of interesting looking camps set up. Like a bunch of former urban campers have moved out in to the forest. These were not your typical set ups, and they were all over the roads that’s exit off I-17. Not something I have seen in previous years or anywhere else in AZ

This is concerning.  I will keep my head on a swivel.

On 9/9/2021 at 9:33 PM, NewlyMinted said:

Come back with pictures and a story!

Update: 

first day did a heck of a hike about 7 miles round trip at the very end jumped a couple of cows with a good bull. He was mature and looked like a 6x6 or a big 5x5 couldn’t make it out was hiding behind a tree he hung up at 100 yards and wasn’t coming back into the check us out I tried a few cow calls and he just sat there and looked at us then ripped a bugle and he looked for another 10 seconds and then followed his cows away. 
After the morning hike went to a different area and saw lots of sign and last light a friendly cow hunter put me on a spike and a little 2x2 bull had them at 60 yds but it seemed to dark for me and passed them up. 
Went back to the same area the next day and did another huge hike and turned up lots of sign old and fresh but saw no elk the rest of that day. 
Today I decided to try a couple new areas the morning was slow but at about 2 or 3 heard a bugle. Cow called a few times and he went off again. Moved close and could tell he was in the next canyon so we tried to make it up to the top of the finger and as we were moving in my father in law looks back and says there he is!!! I signal to him a bull!?!? He says ya right there I peak around the tree there he is staring dead at me! He was bigger than the first bull the first day I peaked my head around the tree with my range finder to my eye and he’s a little past quartering to and at 72 yards. He clearly didn't see the cow he came in for and wasn’t havin it. After about 2 min or so but what felt like 5 I felt the wind on my back and away he went. He went to the next canyon over we chased him him and saw him again at about 75-85 yards and he bolted. Looked over and about 30 yards away there was 2 guys with big ole kite looking things getting ready to paraglide off the mtn! Then past them there was a college couple making a bunch of noise! It sure was exciting though! My father in laws first experience with an elk! So that’s awesome 

Time to keep pluggin away!

A9039436-F6F8-4C13-8802-13686399EAB4.jpeg

937AF9F8-F810-45E8-8176-038EB0E20EA1.jpeg

• Like 3

Well after 10 days of huntin my a$$ off and putting in 70 + miles hiking up a1 almost every morning and wing mt. I finally got it done! Not the biggest bull but I’m not complaining it’ll def feel the freezer!! Had a dozen plus encounters but never could get a clean shot off saw some dandy bulls! 2 nights ago I where I ended up shooting this spike I saw the biggest bull I’ve ever seen a huge 7x7 with about 12 cows. I got in on them and was about 30 yds from the cows and the bull was up about another 20-40 yards perfectly broadside but it was about 640 and just perfect to where I wasn’t able to get him ranged and didn’t want to guess. It took a lot to make the more ethical choice and pass for the fear of wounding it and not recovering. 
last night went back looking for him and saw this guy bedded up snuck in as quietly as possible and got to about 40 yard and he was bedded in a triangle of trees so I didn’t have a good shot he heard me or saw me and got up walked out a little to a clearing at 37 yds so I drew back behind the tree I was standing behind waiting for him to walk out… he wasn’t walking head I held back for a good 45 second to a minute and a half and said screw it and side stepped Twice to the edge of the tree and let it fly. It was perfect height just a hair lower than mid body but come to find out I was right and hit the jugular vane. Sat and watched it spit up tons of blood the bedded and got up again barely walked 50 yds over a ridge and heard it crash! Super stoked on my first archery elk 

11m is a tough tag there’s lots of elk but they’re def call shy except on A1 

pretty awesome getting my father in law into a bugle fest and the experience of hunting elk in September. They’re truly a majestic animal and I’m thankful to get to chase em 

• Like 6