Jo2012

Flagstaff camping

1 hour ago, Jo2012 said:

Thank you guys!!! Just did the math and we did 91 miles give or take it ten days and around 5500 ft of gain 😁

it was worth it though!

Congrats man. The more it sucks at the time the more fondly you will remember it in the future. 

• Like 2

Badass man! Few dudes post for the 1st time and then go on to tell the story, more or less throw down a bit of play by play during th hunt. Super cool that you got it done and congrats on your 1st archery elk!!!  Sounds like a helluva trip and an experience of a lifetime you got to share with your father in law.

• Like 2

That’s awesome man. Congratulations. Thank you for coming back with updates. We have a wealth of knowledge here that we are ready to spread for the simple price of an update on how it went. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

That’s awesome man. Congratulations. Thank you for coming back with updates. We have a wealth of knowledge here that we are ready to spread for the simple price of an update on how it went. 

Thank you! And absolutely! I’ve been hunting for about 4-5 years picked up elk hunting and archery a few years ago and have been very lucky with draws! Luckily I’ve hunted a premier unit in Id helping a buddy and learned a crap load about what elk need and finding them and so on and so forth. I feel like I learned a TON about the unit in just 10 days 

I’ve been on rokslide for awhile and just joined this one late when I drew the az tag but appreciate all you guys who’ve helped out and even replied 

as a newer hunter it’s nice having resources such as the inter web but nothing beats getting out there and burning boot leather and learning firsthand 

like someone said there’s very few things that beat the elk woods in September! Something about screaming bulls that’ll make a guy get western quick 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, my hunt experience in Flagstaff was not as productive as jo2012.  I saw elk every day with an opportunity at a cow on 9/20, but my shot sailed high at 35 yards, she looked 50 yds to me.  Ranging her was not possible since the wind shifted and she was staring right at me as I drew. On 9/22, i had several close encounters with elk, and even a 6x6 bull at 35 yards standing broadside.  He had no idea I was there.  If only I had a bull tag.  I had a blast for 6 days burning shoe rubber up and down the hills.  There were very few elk bugling in the areas I was hunting.  But when they did, it made locating them much easier.    Maybe I can draw another tag in AZ next year. 

Thanks to all the posters who gave me intel. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 8:16 AM, Southernhive said:

Unfortunately, my hunt experience in Flagstaff was not as productive as jo2012.  I saw elk every day with an opportunity at a cow on 9/20, but my shot sailed high at 35 yards, she looked 50 yds to me.  Ranging her was not possible since the wind shifted and she was staring right at me as I drew. On 9/22, i had several close encounters with elk, and even a 6x6 bull at 35 yards standing broadside.  He had no idea I was there.  If only I had a bull tag.  I had a blast for 6 days burning shoe rubber up and down the hills.  There were very few elk bugling in the areas I was hunting.  But when they did, it made locating them much easier.    Maybe I can draw another tag in AZ next year. 

Thanks to all the posters who gave me intel. 

Think you guys got the best of it. 2nd season has been almost completely dead. Very little bugling the 1st day, then totally quite. Haven't seen or talked to anyone who even has a cow yet.

• Like 1

Wow you really put some miles on those boots!! Kudos to you on making the ethical call on the big one. I’m sure you’re still playing that one back in your mind. Either way to be that close must have been awesome. Congrats on a successful hunt!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, afirsttimer08 said:

Wow you really put some miles on those boots!! Kudos to you on making the ethical call on the big one. I’m sure you’re still playing that one back in your mind. Either way to be that close must have been awesome. Congrats on a successful hunt!!!

Yes I did and thank you! I appreciate it 

I definitely do play it back and part of me wishes I’d have guessed and part of me is glad I didn’t do it! 
the circumstances were bad it rained for about 30 min to an hr right after so it could’ve ended up being an impossible tracking Job

definitely fought me I need to invest in a better range finder 👍

• Like 1