10Turkeys

Spring Draw

22 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

Do you think they had your scoped rifle your rangefinder your GPS ground blind  and camo. Bows with sights crossbows or any other thing that you use to gain an advantage in mind .since the dawn of time the first hunters and all hunters use something to gain an advantage over what ever we hunt.I say if you cry about not fair get rid of all the stuff you use to hunt and then give it a try just you and the animal.that would be truly fair.no camo gun range finders bow and so on .just you and your prey.if you can't do that then you probably have no place to complain about others and what's fair.

Hunters also have been honing their craft in that time to become more skilled as hunters. To get closer and use their skill to take their target.  

Theirs no crying/complaining just a difference of opinion on the rules intent.  

My hunting partners and I get into a similar discussion a couple of times a year. They are all long range hunters and I am just as happy for them for their success as if they shot it close. I do rib them about their skills. 

If we still had wooly mammoths, I would be down with a half dozen companions, loin cloths, and spears for a bucket list hunt. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, idgaf said:

I would contend the wound ratio is less than a hunt where people are shooting 250 yards at animals.  Technology has taken alot of the skill out of hunting.  

To the elitist bow hunters on here - are your modern compound bows the same as when the archery hunts were envisioned?  Archery technology allows longer, and more precise shots for the average hunter.  Arrow and broadhead technology has improved dramatically.  And yet archers wound a high % of what they shoot at.  

It is ridiculous to attack muzzleloaders when many of the same arguments could apply to modern bows and arrows. 

How about your laser rangefinder, cell phone, OnX or other hunting apps?  GPS?

The law is the law and we should all follow it.  Ethics are more personal.  I limit rifle shots to 400 yards and then only if conditions are right for me.  If a guy puts more time in at the range and/or has better equipment why would I begrudge him taking a longer shot?  (I do not).  It's not my thing but why do I care if: A. It's legal and B. He is comfortable with his equipment and skill.  

When we get into the weeds and criticize our fellow hunters for legal methods we help anti's achieve their goals.  

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, savagman said:

To the elitist bow hunters on here - are your modern compound bows the same as when the archery hunts were envisioned?  Archery technology allows longer, and more precise shots for the average hunter.  Arrow and broadhead technology has improved dramatically.  And yet archers wound a high % of what they shoot at.  

It is ridiculous to attack muzzleloaders when many of the same arguments could apply to modern bows and arrows. 

How about your laser rangefinder, cell phone, OnX or other hunting apps?  GPS?

The law is the law and we should all follow it.  Ethics are more personal.  I limit rifle shots to 400 yards and then only if conditions are right for me.  If a guy puts more time in at the range and/or has better equipment why would I begrudge him taking a longer shot?  (I do not).  It's not my thing but why do I care if: A. It's legal and B. He is comfortable with his equipment and skill.  

When we get into the weeds and criticize our fellow hunters for legal methods we help anti's achieve their goals.  

Since you are quoting me, I'll answer 

Do you really think wounding animals is limited to a particular weapon type?   

This is a difference of opinion on hunting styles.  No one is getting berated. We were not talking about legality. We all know what's legal and like you said ethics are a personal choice.   

If an open sighted hunter caps his shooting ability at 100 yards, I contend the wound percentage is the same as a scoped muzzy hunter at 250.  Without doing a study and zero research on the subject.  

I will also say that getting close is a much more difficult skillet to master than long range shooting.  I've taken one shot from my nephews 5k gun at 1006 yards hit the target and walked away. 

For the record. I have taken antelope, elk, lion, coues, muley, bear, turkey, javelina without the use of any of the above electronics with my bow and my bison was 80 yards with a rifle solo without that stuff. 

Once again this a difference of opinion and subjective.   Nothing more. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

Pure, bolded ignorance.

Idk man he might have a point 😂 there’s 3 bulls walking around in 3c that have one of my arrows still in them

• Sad 2
  • Wow! 2

25 minutes ago, deerslayer23 said:

Idk man he might have a point 😂 there’s 3 bulls walking around in 3c that have one of my arrows still in them

Practice practice practice and then practice some more.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

Practice practice practice and then practice some more.

Haha I’ll try to remember to do more of that next time I draw a tag

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, deerslayer23 said:

Crap happens, but I fail to find any humor in it. You serious?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rossislider said:

Crap happens, but I fail to find any humor in it. You serious?

I didn’t mean to make it funny. It kinda sucks yeah. Things just didn’t seem to work out for me. I hit 4 different bulls, 3 stuck and one pass through and never found one cuz the blood trail stopped and they were gone. Missed several as well. Had quite a bit of action though, just couldn’t make it happen

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow! 1

23 minutes ago, deerslayer23 said:

I didn’t mean to make it funny. It kinda sucks yeah. Things just didn’t seem to work out for me. I hit 4 different bulls, 3 stuck and one pass through and never found one cuz the blood trail stopped and they were gone. Missed several as well. Had quite a bit of action though, just couldn’t make it happen

I think I'm gonna puke.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, deerslayer23 said:

In the words of loyd Christmas. Man! You are one pathetic loser. No offense.

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, deerslayer23 said:

You should brag when you kill not when you wound half the bulls in the unit!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

I think I'm gonna puke.

It is pretty sickening. I’m new to archery elk and I quickly learned it isnt as easy as I thought it was. But it isn’t like I shot one and said oh well he didn’t die. Every bull I shot I spent hours and covered miles and miles searching but there wasn’t much I could do considering the ones that bled decent initially quit bleeding after 1 or 2 hundred yards and had tracks leading uphill. It is what it is I guess. I’m confident that all of them except maybe 1 made it out alive ok

3 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

You should brag when you kill not when you wound half the bulls in the unit!

Oh believe me those 4 bulls weren’t even close to half the bulls in that unit