10Turkeys

Spring Draw

On 9/23/2021 at 11:07 AM, savagman said:

And yet archers wound a high % of what they shoot at.  

This comment above is what I called bolded ignorance. 

1 hour ago, savagman said:

but you cannot call me ignorant.  My comment on wounding % is based on my personal experience and many peer reviewed studies.   

I absolutely again would call your comment, not you, ignorance. I agree with the majority of the things you've posted so far and I'm not here to debate you. However, since it appears you called out my response, I will say this -

I take great pride in my practicing of both archery and rifle shooting and the one shot-one kill ratios as the result of said practice and getting closer as an archer. I've passed on far more opportunities within 75 yards than I've released an arrow on. I can think of a dozen animals that were killed under 12 yards. I know my percentage of wounded game as an archer, and the one javelina that makes it about 5% still makes me sick 6 years later. All that said and even if I'm in the minority here, it is ignorant to lump everyone that participates in any one type of hunting into a category. A good portion of your other opinions support that line of thinking. 

• Like 3

Seems many missed the point.  This thread has now become bash or defend archers.  

The point was that all methods evolve and technology has changed.  Don't bash fellow hunters because you personal experiences have led you to different styles or methods. 

I don't use much tech in the field but do use OnX, Google Earth, GPS etc.  Most of us do. 

I like shooting a bow but have, in the past, committed to practice at a level to be good at it.  And yet good shot placement from under 20 yards on Javelina did not always work out as planned.  Each and every shot that didn't work out, would have with a firearm.  Call that bad luck, bash my skill or equipment, or whatever, but you cannot call me ignorant.  My comment on wounding % is based on my personal experience and many peer reviewed studies.  Wounding is unfortunately always a possibility.  But place a bow and a firearm in the hands of minimally proficient hunters and the firearm results will be vastly superior.  

Before anyone gets defensive.  It takes commitment to practice and great skill to shoot a bow well.  I respect those of you that bow hunt ethically and responsibly.  But the sport has grown immensely and many do not have the skill level that you do.  Everyone starts somewhere and I do not hope to discourage new hunters. 

I simply have used my personal experience to decide that I do not feel ethical using a bow when a more efficient tool is available.  I like the earlier hunts so will probably use a more advanced weapon for the HAM hunts.  Please do not bash my decision and legal right to use handgun or fight about what should be considered a handgun.  Rather support my right as I will support and defend every right we have as hunters, whether I personally participate or not.  

3 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Entitled boomers again 

On 9/28/2021 at 7:25 AM, CouesPursuit said:

This comment above is what I called bolded ignorance. 

I absolutely again would call your comment, not you, ignorance. I agree with the majority of the things you've posted so far and I'm not here to debate you. However, since it appears you called out my response, I will say this -

I take great pride in my practicing of both archery and rifle shooting and the one shot-one kill ratios as the result of said practice and getting closer as an archer. I've passed on far more opportunities within 75 yards than I've released an arrow on. I can think of a dozen animals that were killed under 12 yards. I know my percentage of wounded game as an archer, and the one javelina that makes it about 5% still makes me sick 6 years later. All that said and even if I'm in the minority here, it is ignorant to lump everyone that participates in any one type of hunting into a category. A good portion of your other opinions support that line of thinking. 

I think we are mostly on the same page and I appreciate the time and effort you put into doing it right.  I really dig getting close and will continue to do so whether using a pistol, crossbow or rifle.  I apologize for my overarching comment. I got off topic and didn't mean to say anything negative about other hunters.  My whole point was that we should support all legal hunting activity.  Even if you do it different. 

Fighting amongst ourselves helps the anti hunting crowd.  Their strategy is death by 100 cuts. 

Gotta remember it's the same commission that puts a minimum poundage for archery on big game animals at 30 lbs. Colorado has archery ,muzzleloader and rifle hunts at the same time. Bowhunter just got shot by a muzzleloader hunter. Got some real idiots making the rules.

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2021 at 7:04 AM, Flatlander said:

The other side of that argument is to say that just because something is legal doesn’t necessarily mean it’s ethical. And if we as hunters do not want the government regulating every aspect of the sport then we have at least some moral obligation to voice our concerns and self police before we are regulated. I don’t necessarily think the debate is a bad thing.

This^^^