Sign in to follow this  
CBullWinkle

36B Help

First Time poster, long time reader....

This is my first AZ rifle tag, and I'm still learning how to hunt deer in AZ. Just looking for a little advice, trolling is welcomed as long as its funny. Thanks!

Looking for some help in 36b Late October hunt, or maybe looking for a little hope. I am not looking for anyone's honey holes, just looking for advice from experienced individuals. I've been teaching myself to hunt and I am in my 3rd season. I usually hike my butt of with my bow. Been pounding the ground hard in the unit over multiple scouting trips. Been able to glass does throughout the whole day. Have not been able to glass any bucks. No bucks during early morning glassing or at evening prime time. I have identified great tanks that are remote, closer to the border that seem unlikely to get any pressure. still nothing. I've spent a lot of time in the Atscosa's, the Pajarito's, and near Ruby. Maybe I'm just completely blind, but haven't been able to catch a glimpse of these mythical males yet. I know archery OTC season just season just ended so I figured they might still feel pressured to only move at night. Water is abundant and every where, feed is good and green, and cover and concealment is in their favors. Over a course of 4 days total, I have seen countless does, encountered 4 diamondsback rattlers, and 1 green Mohave. The snakes are out in full force! I am thinking due to the rain, they haven't been able to hunt as much, and they're getting ready to hibernate. But man those suckers are out!

any advice on what these bucks might be doing or feeling? any advice on the unit itself? any advice on how to stop running into and pissing off rattlers?

current plan.... 

3rd scouting trip planned. Summit Motor highway offers easy access, great glassing, and a lot of tanks. But after talking with CBP, I've been told it gets crazy. I hear there are a lot of road hunters as well. I prefer to put the miles on and go to places that are difficult to get to. After my last trip I encountered 3 rattlers, and got close enough (unknowingly) that they felt threatened enough to rattle and show their fangs. So these Snakes are unfortunately deterring me from getting in deep.  

Maybe sit in coozy country over looking a tank and glass all day, and not move? 

thanks to all, I really appreciate this page and all that its taught me so far. This is my first rifle tag, so I have been trying to put in as much work as possible. Thank you to all for the advice and your time. 

36B is a big unit. I will tell you anywhere in the unit you will find Whitetails. Look in any of the hills around Arivaca and you will be fine.

Will

Are you glassing with a tripod?  What power of binos you using (10x or more is a must) ? Move your glass slow - it's not a race- plenty of great podcasts on how to glass coues - glass the south hill early, into the sun late... 

Stick with it, I had a late Dec 33 WT tag for my first hunt (almost 30 years ago) and didn't see a buck,  not to brag, but I could go to 33  now and find a buck within 30 mins of glassing 80% of the time now. 

36B has plenty of bucks, it's not the unit.... it's experience and time behind binos 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Will K said:

36B is a big unit. I will tell you anywhere in the unit you will find Whitetails. Look in any of the hills around Arivaca and you will be fine.

Will

Thanks Will I appreciate that. I’m going to to try then San Luis next. I appreciate you taking your time to reply. 

2 hours ago, Redman said:

Are you glassing with a tripod?  What power of binos you using (10x or more is a must) ? Move your glass slow - it's not a race- plenty of great podcasts on how to glass coues - glass the south hill early, into the sun late... 

Stick with it, I had a late Dec 33 WT tag for my first hunt (almost 30 years ago) and didn't see a buck,  not to brag, but I could go to 33  now and find a buck within 30 mins of glassing 80% of the time now. 

36B has plenty of bucks, it's not the unit.... it's experience and time behind binos 

Thanks Redman I appreciate your time! Your right just more glassing I agree. Just worried about the rattlers biting me in the A$$. Im using Vortex bino 10x42 on tripod. Also have Razor HD 20-60x85mm spotting scope. I’ve been listening to Jay Scott Outdoors, an Bear Grease. I’ve learned you can listen an read all the right stuff, but until you learn to apply it, it’s all just gee wiz. Trying to cut my teeth on this hunt. Thank you for your optimism, it’s greatly appreciated. 

Just my thoughts…If I were you I would think about upgrading my binoculars. Spotting scope is a luxury in my opinion. Great binoculars are what is really needed.

• Like 1

I highly suggest a pair of 15x binos with a nice tripod along with some patience. If you are seeing does, eventually you will see the bucks and early in season, they are with other bucks. Great unit and you are scouting in the right areas... all the posts above are on point. I've been hunting coues in this unit for past 8 consecutive years and will be hunting it again late November. Best of luck to you!

12 hours ago, Bucks&bulls said:

Just my thoughts…If I were you I would think about upgrading my binoculars. Spotting scope is a luxury in my opinion. Great binoculars are what is really needed.

Agreed. I made a mistake by going

for the spotting scope. I should have went with the kaibab’s. New binos are next on the gear list. Thanks for your input and time I really do appreciate it.

5 hours ago, Quagmire said:

I highly suggest a pair of 15x binos with a nice tripod along with some patience. If you are seeing does, eventually you will see the bucks and early in season, they are with other bucks. Great unit and you are scouting in the right areas... all the posts above are on point. I've been hunting coues in this unit for past 8 consecutive years and will be hunting it again late November. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for your input, nice to hear from other individuals out hunting the same unit. New pair of 15/18’s sounds like the way to go. I just need more patience, an not try an power glass everything. I’m learning these coues bucks, lol not come if/when they have to, an only offer up a glimpse sometimes. Thank you for your time I appreciate it, good luck in November!