Sign in to follow this  
andrewmilich

Garmin Xero A1 need help

I had one, it wasn't for me, after using pins for ever I couldn't get used to it.  I missed more 3D targets in the short time I had it, than I ever had....I mean clear misses 

it is well built and easy to sight in- 

Garmin is a solid company- nothing bad to say about it, just wasn't for me. 

• Like 1

Not really

Both times Daniel at the archery club helped me set them up out to 40 yards. Was pretty simple sighting in out to 80 yards on my own 

One thing I noticed over my black gold sights is I can only get out to 85-89 yards with garmin sights 

it can be hard to see your target in low light conditions with the brightness of the green pin. You can turn down the brightness of the pin wich helps a little 

if you’re ranging through a shooting lane I have had the sight pick up the tree and not the target beyond the shooting lane . 

you can set it up to have  it drop down fixed pins incase of this situation . 

I have hunted with them in the rain and had to issue seeing thru it and it worked just fine .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, longshooter said:

Not really

Both times Daniel at the archery club helped me set them up out to 40 yards. Was pretty simple sighting in out to 80 yards on my own 

One thing I noticed over my black gold sights is I can only get out to 85-89 yards with garmin sights 

it can be hard to see your target in low light conditions with the brightness of the green pin. You can turn down the brightness of the pin wich helps a little 

if you’re ranging through a shooting lane I have had the sight pick up the tree and not the target beyond the shooting lane . 

you can set it up to have  it drop down fixed pins incase of this situation . 

I have hunted with them in the rain and had to issue seeing thru it and it worked just fine .

That was one of the things I was concerned about is if it picked up exactly what I was trying to range find especially in heavy brush. Or through trees. I’m sure it’s no different than any other rangefinder regarding that. How accurate was the shot placement that he gave you

It’s picked up the tree at 20 yards and gave me a 20 yard pin but the elk was at 30 ish yards. Still killed the bull but impact was a lot lower than intended 

You would have same issue with a range finder and normal sights.  

On 9/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, andrewmilich said:

I am interested in this sight.  any real world reviews you guys would like to share.  really interested in hearing what you all think about it

I know 2 people that bought them and they both sold them within a month. They said they were very accurate but in real world hunting situations, they were not so great. Think of all the times that you have had any type of problems ranging with a range finder.. Now repeat those at full draw.. I know of one time it would likely have put a 30" buck on the ground for me but also can think of many times I'd be smashing it on a tree. I think your hunting style and what type of terrain you hunt in would determine if it would work for you..

• Like 1

As others have said it’s no better than a regular rangefinder in brushy situations. You can always tap the button on those situations and get your full pin spread just like a regular sight…works well for some folks and doesn’t work for others. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 6:45 PM, andrewmilich said:

Hard to sight in?

Easy to sight in…pick a range and shoot one or more arrows. Then it will ask if you hit your aim point and if missed how many inches high or low. Like sighting in a regular sight but no manual adjustment of the pin height. Once you have several distances set then it gives you the dot for in-between distances automagically. 

my only complaint is when you select what distance to calibrate, then draw and range that distance…it asks if you want to set pin for that distance. Requires pushing button on the sight (not the trigger) to answer yes, so you have to let down to push the button. Not a big deal but it’s annoying. Maybe I’m dumb and there’s a way around this and I don’t realize it. 

• Like 1

I had one on my bow for several years before injury forced me to sell my bow.  It did not disappoint.  As with all rangefinders, you need to take care to ensure you only get readings from your target.  The real benefit for me was the reduction of hand motion.  No more lifting the rangefinder, ranging , then dropping the rangefinder back down, then getting your release on the string and pulling the string back.  The Garmin lets you pull back the string, then tap the button and your target dot appears.  No more  guessing distance or splitting pins.  Simple.  I was missing too many opportunities at game where they were already on alert.  Never got to use it in an actual hunting situation as my injury occurred before I could get drawn.