Yuma Outdoorsman

Arizona Desert

Has anybody been out looking around for deer? I've been looking around the last few weeks at some areas in my unit for rifle season and I'm starting to get a little excited. I have been waiting for it too cool off but the weather is not cooperating. My next free weekend is the first weekend of October so no matter what, I will go take my first long hike over 5 miles and see what I run into. It is extremely green in my neck of the woods and I don't see that changing any time soon. Tons of feed and the bucks I've seen have big bellies and a few have quite the head gear. I know a lot of the guys on here are in elk/antelope mode but deer season isn't too far off.

A cropped photo of a buck I've got on trail camera. 

HUNT0896 (2).JPG

• Like 5

It’s my first year hunting desert mulies and my second year hunting in general. I’ve got a 37b rifle tag so I’ve been spending my weekends out there. Got a couple spikes on camera and even a 3x3 coues, but no shooter bucks. 

not going to lie, getting a little discouraged, I haven’t seen anything moving. 

Is it pretty typical for deer to be bedded in cover all day because of the heat? Think they are eating or watering during the day at all?

20 minutes ago, Calebwalter said:

It’s my first year hunting desert mulies and my second year hunting in general. I’ve got a 37b rifle tag so I’ve been spending my weekends out there. Got a couple spikes on camera and even a 3x3 coues, but no shooter bucks. 

not going to lie, getting a little discouraged, I haven’t seen anything moving. 

Is it pretty typical for deer to be bedded in cover all day because of the heat? Think they are eating or watering during the day at all?

I pulled my cams they were boring af the deer weren’t hitting water. That’s a tough hunt, do you have the first hunt or the second. I have the first, I put in for it cuz I wanted to suffer 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Grew up hunting 37B as a kid in Kearny.  Used to be plenty along the northern side of the unit (washes running into the Gila....).   Never had a problem finding them then, but likely it was because we were out in the desert after school multiple times per week chasing quail in the fall, so we sort of knew where they were.  Like a lot of units, I guess it's just not quite like it used to be.

One thing that's cool about it is the coues deer these days.  Been seeing them in places I never would have guessed before.  Cool to be able to carry an 'any antlered deer' tag around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

No I haven’t been. But maybe since it’s dried out I’ll get motivated to put some cams up 

Dude July/August was so terrible. On drinkers where I usually have 20-25 deer each night, I was getting 2-3 max. Most of them were spikes and forkies or does. I took them down for a while and now in September the waterholes are finally being used again. 

• Love 1

I almost hit a REAL GOOD 4x3 last Monday morning by the Ray mine. Dam thing ran right in front of me. Think his tail might be a little shorter now…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mc68 said:

I almost hit a REAL GOOD 4x3 last Monday morning by the Ray mine. Dam thing ran right in front of me. Think his tail might be a little shorter now…

Coues or muley?

5 hours ago, 223VARMINTER said:

Gonna give it a go in 41 this year. Planning on 1st scouting trip this weekend.

Not sure if you hunt around the farmland or not but I know some people who spotlight fields for fun this time of year and areas where they typically see 200-300 deer were empty. They saw less than 5 deer the couple hours they were out. The desert is so green the deer aren’t coming to the fields. That is satisfying to me 😂....

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

Not sure if you hunt around the farmland or not but I know some people who spotlight fields for fun this time of year and areas where they typically see 200-300 deer were empty. They saw less than 5 deer the couple hours they were out. The desert is so green the deer aren’t coming to the fields. That is satisfying to me 😂....

The farmers are probably even more satisfied haha.