Yuma Outdoorsman

Arizona Desert

So I sent my wife's son into a spot where they kicked up 5 bucks, one of them a good  one. He couldn't get off a shot. They went back into the same  place this morning. He missed 3 times. Going out in the morning to see if I can't give him some support. He needs it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, creed said:

So I sent my wife's son into a spot where they kicked up 5 bucks, one of them a good  one. He couldn't get off a shot. They went back into the same  place this morning. He missed 3 times. Going out in the morning to see if I can't give him some support. He needs it.

Good luck. Sometimes a little support makes a big difference to a shooter to keep calm and remember the fundamentals in an exciting situation. 

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 6:53 AM, trphyhntr said:

Are you ok bro? You’ve asked me what gasoline is three times  in this thread 

Well you haven’t answered his question yet.

Weekend update...

Extremely hot and too much hunting pressure. With the weather being so warm, I did not hunt as hard as I usually would opening weekend. Surprisingly, a lot of areas I thought got rain are extremely dead with not much greenery. Sometimes those dead spots hold big deer though so not giving up completely but dang, what a let down. Game warden told some friends that the deer have felt the snowbird pressure and in the last 3 weeks, they have moved into the hills. Next weekend, I will be hunting a little harder and hitting some stuff that I didn’t want to hike into with it being 90°+...not only does it suck to pack out in heat but worrying about meat going bad is a whole other issue I didn’t want to deal with. The reports from everyone I’ve talked to is not many deer were shot in the desert opening weekend and not many deer glassed up. Heat waves picked up around 8:30am so that makes glassing tough if you aren’t on the deer right away. We still have 7 days left to hunt, me personally 3 maybe 4 days. I’ll let you know how it goes once I’m back out there. 

Guess I’ll jump in here…got out for a quick scouting trip today. Lots of does and the biggest set of fresh tracks I’ve seen on a tank in a long time. Not quite the African truck setup but my buddy put a platform on the ladder rack on his truck. Still not easy glassing the flats but it helps. 

• Like 1

Just now, bigorange said:

Guess I’ll jump in here…got out for a quick scouting trip today. Lots of does and the biggest set of fresh tracks I’ve seen on a tank in a long time. Not quite the African truck setup but my buddy put a platform on the ladder rack on his truck. Still not easy glassing the flats but it helps. 

I thought hunting from a truck wasn’t legal 

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

This is Mexico now!

11 hours ago, bigorange said:

I have thought about that for years just never did it.  It would make the flat areas much easier I would think.

11 hours ago, bigorange said:

We had a guy pull a manlift out to the farm and was glassing the flats surrounding the fields. Game warden said it was perfectly legal since there were no weapons involved and he was just glassing. The trespassing was not legal.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I don't see it as an issue if you are not on an established road. Drive said road. Pull off said road. Get out, climb up and glass.

• Like 1

We did see a couple AZGFD officers who didn’t have any objection to it. Not going to be shooting from it so it seems like a non-issue to me. 

• Like 3

On 11/4/2021 at 9:58 AM, trphyhntr said:

You’re right, thanks for setting me straight. 7 days in the desert has me thinking crazy. 

What I have been told "the law states using a vehicle in  the Aid of taking an animal is illegal. But that only means when you kill or attempt to kill a  animal from that situation. "  I have been checked in the past several times standing on my tool box or a cooleror, fuel cell  in the back of my truck glassing with a pod off the cab of my truck in 4A. That's what I was told by G&F . Barry is a good cop so I'll take his word for it.

• Like 1