Sign in to follow this  
MWagner01

Good 10s and low end 15s? or Decent 15s and low end 10s?

Alrighty folks, I have a rifle tag for 22 this year and I'm in a bit of a predicament. Right now I have 12x42 Mavens and some 15x56 Vultures my brother is letting me borrow. I finally saved up enough to spend about $1k on a good set of binoculars (I'm in college cut me some slack), and I'm not sure if I should buy some good quality $1k 10s or some decent quality $1k 15s. I do hunt every year so 15s won't go to waste after this hunt. Let me know what you all think as I'm sure you have more experience than I do. Also if anyone has recommendations for particular binoculars they like in that price range id love to hear it. Thanks.

If you can spot a deer pretty far away and can see some sort of bone with 10X then he might be worth getting closer to. If you see deer at distance and can't make out if its buck or doe then its not worth the bother. Having used 10X Zeiss and 12X MeOpta for decades I can say it is a wash. Closer in, picking out a head turn, nose or an ear flick on a well beded deer or one in thick cover is more about a well trained eye. Do you have a nice carbon fiber tripod?

• Like 1

In your position if you want 15s id go with meopta. You should be able to get a new pair for like $1250 ish.  Maybe used for $1100.  But id also consider getting meopta 12s and selling the mavens to put towards a lower end spotting scope like a vortex viper 65mm.  Good 12s and a spotter is a pretty versatile combo.   In any case meopta is a great value in your price range

• Like 1

I have 10x50 leupold binos not super expensive I think I paid 500 bucks new .I can tell you if you can get the best you can afford it makes a difference.I've run mine and then looked thru swarovski and you loose a lot in detail and clarity.I'm a firm believer in a good spotting scope and you can find vortex fairly cheap .it works real good if they don't make the model any more they will upgrade to current design .I had a older skyline and it broke and sent it in and got a New viper hd in return. Payed 200 bucks for used skyline and got a 8-900 scope under warranty no cost .I run the binos for location and spotter to make sure it's worth the effort to go after 

23 minutes ago, TOBY said:

Buy used slc 15s Swarovski and cheap 10s. 

Difference in hunters. If I had to choose I would go with good 10’s and a spotter and leave out the 15’s. But I am in the minority. Most guys would go with 15’s. 

My recommendation is to buy the best 15’s you can afford. If you have $1000 saved up already….keep saving until you can get the right set. They will be your most used binos for glassing on your tripod. You need them to be as clear as possible. If you go low end you will regret it and won’t use them like you should because they are not clear and won’t serve the purpose you are getting 15’s for. Good 15’s on a tripod will be a game changer. You can find used 15 SLC’s for $1200. You are almost there:)  There have been some other recommendations for good 15’s on here as well.  Try a few sets out.  Don’t skimp and buy a crappy pair to get you by this year. Save your money, buy a high quality used set next year and don’t look back. If you can borrow or rent a pair this year do it, then buy when you can find the right pair in your price range. Good luck!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, creed said:

Difference in hunters. If I had to choose I would go with good 10’s and a spotter and leave out the 15’s. But I am in the minority. Most guys would go with 15’s. 

I would rather have a nice pair of 10s and nothing.

but I haven’t spent any time behind 12s 

49 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

12s

Fo show. I been using my 12x50els for about 8 years and have not looked back