Sign in to follow this  
MWagner01

Good 10s and low end 15s? or Decent 15s and low end 10s?

Edit, joke was lost on the commenter or just not funny..

OP, I'd rather have cheaper 10-12x than 15x, save more for Meopta, Zeiss, or Swarovski. 

I wouldn't buy ANY cheap glass.

I would borrow what you can this year, save until next year and buy top tier 15s.

• Like 1

Only a loser will drop their only grand on a bino upgrade.  When you save up ten grand let’s talk.  For now what you have is perfectly fine.  Take 500 and invest it.  Save 500 for emergency    

your biggest asset is your youth not your glass.  Cover ground.   Don’t try and keep up with the Jones.   You can’t as a student. 

• Like 3

I would put both your Maven 12x42 and the Vulture 15x on tripods and see which has the better resolution using a USAF 1951 chart.  Run with the better.  If the Maven is best, don't carry the weight of the 15s.  If the 15s are best, then get a good pair of 10x. 

The Athlon Cronus UHD 10x got a real good review and won't break the bank.  Contact Doug at CameraLandNY for these.  https://backwoodspursuit.com/26-best-binoculars-for-hunting/

Or maybe you can find a pair of used Leica Duovid 10+15.  I used these as primary glass for many years.

• Like 2

Sell everything and get the best you can get in either 12 or 15X depending on your hunting style. I only carry 15X SLC HD's and have never regretted it on a Coues Deer hunt with my hunting style of hiking to the best glassing point I can and sitting there all morning/day etc.

Wow...Guess I'm a loser! Me and my now 18 year old Marine son have been glassing deer and pigs for years out a 1 1/2 miles with my minox 15x58s and his vortex vultures 15x56. He spent a day with Dewayne Adams glassing and id bet he can sit there and find deer with alot of guys all day long. He glassed a mulies ear and right horn at about 1200yards in the shade. Buy what you can afford. Its kind of like what is the best truck or jeep to buy!  I carry 10x42 when I'm walking and glass long range with the 15s. Good luck I'll get a beating now! 

2 hours ago, Green Bullet said:

Only a loser will drop their only grand on a bino upgrade.  When you save up ten grand let’s talk.  For now what you have is perfectly fine.  Take 500 and invest it.  Save 500 for emergency    

your biggest asset is your youth not your glass.  Cover ground.   Don’t try and keep up with the Jones.   You can’t as a student. 

I already have an emergency fund of over $500 setup as well as investments. I have 0 car payments or cc bills. Im asking for optics advice. Thanks.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, duxngeez said:

My recommendation is to buy the best 15’s you can afford. If you have $1000 saved up already….keep saving until you can get the right set. They will be your most used binos for glassing on your tripod. You need them to be as clear as possible. If you go low end you will regret it and won’t use them like you should because they are not clear and won’t serve the purpose you are getting 15’s for. Good 15’s on a tripod will be a game changer. You can find used 15 SLC’s for $1200. You are almost there:)  There have been some other recommendations for good 15’s on here as well.  Try a few sets out.  Don’t skimp and buy a crappy pair to get you by this year. Save your money, buy a high quality used set next year and don’t look back. If you can borrow or rent a pair this year do it, then buy when you can find the right pair in your price range. Good luck!

This sounds like the general consensus, I think ill give this a shot. Thanks to everyone who offered good advice!

2 hours ago, Green Bullet said:

Best advice here. Borrow what you can, make your schooling your top priority. Your youth and a decent pair of glasses that you can borrow should keep you in mature bucks for a long time. When it's time to buy get the absolute best you can possibly afford. Todays $500 glass on a tripod is pretty dang good. You will be able to spot bucks much further than you can shoot.

• Like 1

I assume you already own a decent tripod with a quality pan head/pistol grip.  Quality 10X42's are my recommendation.  Acquire specialty glass down the road as needed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MWagner01 said:

I already have an emergency fund of over $500 setup as well as investments. I have 0 car payments or cc bills. Im asking for optics advice. Thanks.

I didn’t mean to sound too crass.  Save more.  Borrow from family.   Go hunt.    Good luck. 

Theres a pair of meopta 12s in the classifieds just posted. $950, thats a good deal.  And thwy will be more than what you need.

• Like 1