Flatlander

Petition - Stop Paying Influencers

That’s awesome that the state won’t be paying him directly but I would bet he’ll still be out here in January promoting public land hunting, he was doing it well before he was getting paid by AZGFD. He has other sponsors. The only thing that is going to stop the onslaught of NR hunting this state is the removal of OTC tags which for mule deer is well over due with or without Newburg hunting here.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 654321 said:

That’s awesome that the state won’t be paying him directly but I would bet he’ll still be out here in January promoting public land hunting, he was doing it well before he was getting paid by AZGFD. He has other sponsors. The only thing that is going to stop the onslaught of NR hunting this state is the removal of OTC tags which for mule deer is well over due with or without Newburg hunting here.

I totally agree. The mission here was always to start by stopping the dept’s advertising campaign. I felt this was a reasonable request that most people could get behind.

We need to couple this with a change in the structure for NR archery deer in this state.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

I totally agree. The mission here was always to start by stopping the dept’s advertising campaign. I felt this was a reasonable request that most people could get behind.

We need to couple this with a change in the structure for NR archery deer in this state.

The change is going to have to be more than just NR, I know you don’t like to hear it but NR. Make up a fraction of the OTC tags sold in this state. 

7 minutes ago, 654321 said:

The change is going to have to be more than just NR, I know you don’t like to hear it but NR. Make up a fraction of the OTC tags sold in this state. 

Agree. But we need to know what the NR impact on harvest is. We need the data, because I highly suspect that the NR contribution to the overall harvest far exceeds the % permits sold.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2021 at 9:31 PM, Flatlander said:

I wanted to provide an update here… today I was informed by Randy Newberg that he has withdrawn from his contract with AZGFD. This is a tremendous accomplishment by the hunters of Arizona. I know that in recent years it’s been said that it doesn’t matter how much we speak up that no one listens. Well now that has changed. Thanks to everyone who spoke up!

Good.  Tell that liberal butt hat to stay in Bozeman..

I wanted to share the letter that AZGFD sent me after I forwarded the results of the petition along with an explanation of why over 2,100 Arizonans asked them to stop paying influencers to promote big game hunting opportunities that do not have a non-resident cap (all otc hunts, antlerless and any elk permits and javelina).

To me, it’s clear that the department got the message from the many public comments they received on the topic. Unfortunately much of the damage was done. However, I think it’s a good sign that we spoke up and AZGFD acknowledged our request and changed course.

Thanks to everyone who signed.

Mr. Gillett,

I am responding to your email to the Arizona Game and Fish Department Director and Commissioners regarding the use of influencers in marketing big game tags nationwide.

The Department has already stopped such activities in relation to big game hunting. These activities were stopped in part because of public input, but also because of declining big game populations as a result of drought and an increasing trend in participation assumed to be related to the covid pandemic and the new interest in outdoor activities such as hunting.

As stated we have stopped using influencers to market big game hunts indefinitely, but we may consider implementing similar activities in the future should the trends change. The Department may also continue to employ these types of marketing efforts for small game hunting opportunities such as dove.

If you'd like to discuss this further with the Commission, you may speak at any of our regularly scheduled Commission meetings during the Public Comments section, or during any specific agenda item. Thank you for your interest, if you have any questions or wish to discuss further please let me know.

HEIDI RAYMENT | MARKETING BRANCH CHIEF

ARIZONA GAME AND FISH DEPARTMENT

• Like 3