Sign in to follow this  
Coues Archer

Best Ultralight Optics Under $600

Hello my fellow hunters,

It's that time of year again and I'm more anxious than ever to hit the hills once again. I just want to start off by saying that I genuinely hope all of y'all are doing well. So to start this off I'm in the market for an ultralight optic that I can carry backcountry. I hike many miles and I honestly have no need for my vortex razor HD's; awesome optics but too heavy for my use case. I literally only use a spotting scope to classify an animal for trophy quality. Other than that I don't use the dam thing lol I scan with my Kaibab's until I find the animal and lately haven't had an optic to classify the animals quality. Long story short I need that added 30x - 45X optic to distinguish such details. Maybe 30X-45X is too little maybe 60X? I need something that could distinguish trophy quality coues/mule deer out to 1 - 1.5 miles. Preferably an optic sub 40 oz. Please any feedback would be much appreciated. 

I think your best option under $600 would be the 50mm razor that they made a few years ago.  I think it was 15-30x though.  You kind pickup used ones for under $500.  They are not super impressive but they fit your criteria.

The cabelas CX pro is a decent option as well but it’s 48oz

• Like 1

I have a lightly used 50mm opticron mm3 ED that the birders love that you're welcome to check out if you're in the east valley.  It compares favorably to the vortex razor 50mm and I'd let it go for $200.   12-36X if I remember right.

I tried the razor 50mm spotting scope a few years ago.   Complete junk.   My guess is that the 50mm part was causing the issue.   Clarity really decreased with magnification.  I couldn't see game well at 1000 yards let alone a mile.   

If you want to have good clarity out past a mile you will need good quality optics and a bit more weight.    No need to carry weight if it doesn't get you where you need to be.   Many say that the higher the magnification the better the glass needs to be in order to have good clarity.     

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 9:41 AM, recurveman said:

I tried the razor 50mm spotting scope a few years ago.   Complete junk.   My guess is that the 50mm part was causing the issue.   Clarity really decreased with magnification.  I couldn't see game well at 1000 yards let alone a mile.   

If you want to have good clarity out past a mile you will need good quality optics and a bit more weight.    No need to carry weight if it doesn't get you where you need to be.   Many say that the higher the magnification the better the glass needs to be in order to have good clarity.     

Thank you for the two cents recurveman! After much research I decided not to get anything. Seems like the only good glass that would be in weight savings category is the kowa tsn 553 spotting scope. They recently did an optic review on it. Long story short it performed amazing. One of these days I’ll pull the trigger on it.