Tropicalmulch

What makes a hunter a hunter?

I was reading through another topic on this forum and it got me thinking.  

What makes a hunter?

What is all of your opinions of a hunter?

Is it being capable and willing to kill and eat an animal?  Is it the challenge? Is it contributing to conservation?  Is it killing at 10 yards with a 40lb. Recuve vs. At 1000 yards with a rifle setup? Is it thuming through forums, or listening to podcasts for info? Is it having a time of year to spend with family out in nature? Are there different levels of hunting?  Are there different areas of hunting skill? Is it taking advantage of the most effective legal weapon allowed on your hunt? Is it saying in good physical shape or driving roads? Is it obeying the law or feeding a hungry family? Diy vs guided?.....and on and on...Is it all of the above?

I don't want to make this a book that nobody wants to read,  but I'm curious of what your idea of what makes a hunter.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tropicalmulch said:

I was reading through another topic on this forum and it got me thinking.  

What makes a hunter?

What is all of your opinions of a hunter?

Is it being capable and willing to kill and eat an animal?  Is it the challenge? Is it contributing to conservation?  Is it killing at 10 yards with a 40lb. Recuve vs. At 1000 yards with a rifle setup? Is it thuming through forums, or listening to podcasts for info? Is it having a time of year to spend with family out in nature? Are there different levels of hunting?  Are there different areas of hunting skill? Is it taking advantage of the most effective legal weapon allowed on your hunt? Is it saying in good physicalshape or driving roads? Is it obeying the law or feeding a hungry family? .....and on and on...Is it all of the above?

I don't want to make this a book that nobody wants to read,  but I'm curious of what your idea of what makes a hunter.

It's none of that but since this is 2021and a full moon I guess the question needs to be asked but you'll never find the answer on here if there is one whether you draw blood or paint it on a canvass or the wall of a cave.

• Like 1

I'm a hunter that goes out and harvest some meat when I can legally do so. Antlers don't mean squat to me. Although a nice rack would be nice to have. The meat is what I'm after.

• Like 6

I’m a hunter because i hunt down, kill things and eat them. Farmers harvest. 

• Like 4

Lol...I guess I made a cringe thread. I'm not trying to justify anything.  To me it's basic, killing and eating. I have my style and my capabilities.  I'm jealous of dudes that go out with recurves and kill. I view them as hunters to the core. So call me a non hunter if you want based on the tread I started but there is obviously some opinions out there

20 minutes ago, AZ Free Man said:

Can a farmer be a hunter as well?

Yes they can be…when they are hunting. And then they go back to being a farmer when they harvest. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Yes they can be…when they are hunting. And then they go back to being a farmer when they harvest. 

A161A6B0-7D48-4CE7-A01D-D3020DFB092E.gif

The ethical taking of a Wild animals in the wild, not in a neighborhood.. Weapons can be argued

• Like 1

Drinking beer in a $75000 lifted diesel truck with a $8000 custom rifle and $5000 BTX, mastering the stealthy “dude deer…..slow down I’ll jump out but keep going down the road” technique.  

heritage baby.  Heritage.   All in the name of conservation.  

• Thanks 1

Not being woke

10 hours ago, Green Bullet said:

Drinking beer in a $75000 lifted diesel truck with a $8000 custom rifle and $5000 BTX, mastering the stealthy “dude deer…..slow down I’ll jump out but keep going down the road” technique.  

heritage baby.  Heritage.   All in the name of conservation.  

I literally am that first line at times....except I usually have 3 or 4 of the $8k rifles in the truck with me.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1