Tropicalmulch

What makes a hunter a hunter?

It's getting so bad that pretty soon, all the "youtube stars" are going to become patch pirates with sponsors all over their clothes like what has happened in the fishing industry. Average Joe's in the local tournaments started making their own jerseys and adding all these sponsors on them and they aren't even really sponsored. I already see them on their instagram posts tagging every dang outdoor company, bow company, rifle company, coffee, blah blah blah...social media and the "look at me" mindset has changed the terms "hunter or hunting" ....I do enjoy videos on youtube where it's people out hunting for themselves and not trying to plug a sponsor or nothing. Those are enjoyable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

I literally am that first line at times....except I usually have 3 or 4 of the $8k rifles in the truck with me.

It's the explaining to the wife why you are hunting in your 75000 truck and need several rifles at 7 to 8 k per gun that make you a true hunter.a hunter of words to explain its not about need its about wants and still get away with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't feel that the OP was trying to stir the pot... but rather the "what and or why"  of doing what we do.

With opposition from a sibling, the easiest way i can explain it to her, any other rando anti, or just any other rando in general...:

To me its the analogy of a symphony.  You take all of the components of a symphonic concert... then you add a guy with a kazoo.  That kazoo guy not only has to fit into the performance, but be so skilled at what what they do...he has to blend in like he's supposed to be part of the ensemble . To me, thats what hunting is.  Anyone can go listen to the music being made  (bird watcherss, hikers, wild life enthusiasts... etc). But hunting makes you  immerse, partake, and understand all the components of nature to be succcesful.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Wtf am I reading 

Lol. I was literally reading the last post before yours... thinking to myself how is trphyhntr going to reply to this.. I had a couple ideas, but you simplified it😂.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hunting has changed a lot over the years since when I first started.  I used to carry pretty much everything in a fanny pack. A knife, a sharpening stone, a couple pieces of mule tape, a tag that wasn't the size of sheet of paper, couple snacks and a bota bag over my shoulder.  A $250 rifle and a $40 pair a Bushnells. 

Drawing a December coues tag was almost expected.

The game has changed a ton and will continue to do so.

• Like 1

One word, "Passion"

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Flat brimmed hat, 6.5 creedmoor, and trophy pictures under power lines. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

I literally am that first line at times....except I usually have 3 or 4 of the $8k rifles in the truck with me.

I wasn’t joking.   Road hunting has a right and wrong technique to it.  

• Like 1

Kinda of cool to see what hunting means to them. Wouldn't take much to make then none hunters, like take all there goodies away and hand them a recurve. There done