Tropicalmulch

What makes a hunter a hunter?

On 9/22/2021 at 7:27 PM, 25-06 said:

I'm a hunter that goes out and harvest some meat when I can legally do so. Antlers don't mean squat to me. Although a nice rack would be nice to have. The meat is what I'm after.

This is me and my family.  But different strokes for different folks.  Just keep it legal and represent the sport well.

Interesting topic.  I ask myself what drives me to hunt.  Interesting to hear from others (non-snarky replies).  

Not about fancy gear.  My patched Walmart camo pants are my favorite.  Patched butt area.  Not sure why the butt wore out because I don't follow the wear the seat out of your pants advice.  I find myself hiking too much and still hunting too fast.  I guess I like seeing more country.

Not about expensive guns.  Ours get used.  Carried through brush.  Have imperfections associated with hunting use.  Memories attached to stock dents.  (That's from my first Coues hunt, fell on loose rock trying to go after deer uphill haha never saw that deer again).  Love my Remington Game Master 30-06.  Remington 700 CDL .270 for longer shots. 

We hunt hard.  We don't take long shots ( just a personal choice due to gear and practice limits).  We take and use all of the meat and organs.  

Enjoy and remember a successful hunt throughout the year via delicious meals.  Had elk stew this week.  Elk Chili last week.  Always looking to add to recipe list.  Tinkering with and expanding skill in sausage making and old school curing methods for preservation.  

My perspective is utilitarian.  I hunt to eat.  My tools are tools.  I enjoy the basic carnal urge to hunt and provide sustenance for my family.  In today's ever increasingly crowded and over tech world, I find it peaceful and centering to do what man has done for centuries.  I daydream when in the woods and imagine no man has ever set foot where I am at that moment.  Or envision ancestral humans hunting from the same overlook or natural stand.  Find an arrowhead, pottery shard, or discoidal stone and that daydream becomes more of a vision or perhaps deja vu... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's that same thing that makes the muskrat guard it's musk....