missedagain

Dirt bike questions

Thinking of buying a dirt bike, currently have no experience with them and thought someone here might know.  First do AZ dirt bikes have titles? If they dont how do you register them to be street legal? I only want it to put around on dirt roads would a 450 be to much or stick with a 250cc? has anyone ever hooked up a trailer to one like they make for bicycles or would that not work? 

If you really want to just put around, stick with a 4 stroke as you won't have to shift as much and it will last forever. Something like a WR250 will likely do anything you want it to do. If you think you may want to go nuts later, step up to a 450.  Personally I love screaming through gears so I never got beyond the YZ..  The WR is a dual sport and is basically street legal out the door. FYI, a 250 two stroke is more comparable to a 450 four stroke so when asking about the 250 vs 450, make sure you are talking apples to apples. 

• Like 1

IMO, don't expect to haul anything safely on a dirt bike unless it is on your back or centered on the bike.  Handling can be scary if ANY weight is off center.  Don't know about hauling a trailer.  Agree with jcarter, a quad would be a better choice.  As far a "putting around" goes, takes a lot of discipline to go slow, especially long term.  If you end up with a bike, buy ALL the safety gear and use it!

I hunt off of a WR450R and a KX450F.  Both are set up for desert and mountain riding.  You can get around very quickly and go places that most don't dare on anything with 4 wheels.  However -- you can get into real trouble (even with a high skill level) and need to ride with a buddy *most* of the time.  I have a few places I go that are pretty chill and I will go by myself - mostly that's not the case and I ride with a friend in the event of a bad injury.  A couple of thoughts:

I would never hook a trailer to a motorcycle -- especially in a dirt/mountain environment.  Too dangerous.  The bike needs to be nimble.  Trailer is a no-go 

I buy 450s because you can't wish a 250 bigger.  The power to weight ratio is completely acceptable on all of the modern 450 models.

I use a backpack with a center-of-back gun scabbard and I don't overload my pack.  Riding with a not-too-heavy pack is fine and making adjustments for the higher up weight is easy.  Riding with a heavy pack is awkward and throw you off balance quickly. 

I ride with MX boots and change my boots when I park.  Full pads on the outside of my hunting clothes.  Smashing a kneecap on a rock can set your hunting back months.  Helmet *ALWAYS*

One of my motors has a "Rekluse" clutch - the other does not.  I can swing either way.  If you're new to the game of clutch/throttle/brake for slow control the Rekluse is the way to go - but - it adds $800ish to the tab.  If you're a master of clutch/throttle/brake control then you can avoid that cost.  It's a skill that's in use the whole time you ride. 

Practice in the off-season

I like using a dirt bike, but there are *lots* of things to consider.  I hope this answered a few of your questions.

Mark Healy

• Like 4

You’re probably going to hear 20 different answers or recommendations from 20 different people.  I’ve been riding dirt bikes since elementary school so I’ve got a little experience on the matter.  Based on what you said you wanted to do with it, I would recommend something like the Honda CRF250F. The motor is based off of a motor that has been around a long time.  It’s a trail bike that is air cooled with electric start and fuel injection on the newer models.  I currently have the Honda CRF250R which is the race version.  These new four strokes are pretty reliable and they are really torquey.  Most of the race versions “require” you to be moving along fairly quick or they start puking coolant.  I don’t know if it matters to you or not, but most of the race versions are pretty loud and don’t normally come with spark arrestors.  There are a lot of variables and personal preference that come into play when you’re looking to purchase one.  Also, your size and weight will play a part in your decision as well.  

https://powersports.honda.com/off-road/trail/crf250f

I just picked up 2022 KTM 350 XCF W and it's a shweeet flippin ride. Like NMBPMAN mentioned above, fuel-injected models on any of your top brands are going to be fantastic to ride and require zero tweaking when you change elevation or climate. Most 450's of any year will 'lug' a fair amount at lower speeds and R's, making them less than ideal for someone not grabbing a lot of throttle. Only thing that is sure is that you'll have a bunch of fun once you choose a bike.  Good luck!

2 minutes ago, AZDirtyTaco said:

Most 450's of any year will 'lug' a fair amount at lower speeds and R's, making them less than ideal for someone not grabbing a lot of throttle.

Really? Strange.  I don't experience this.  Especially on the WR.  It's like a plush Yamaha sofa with wheels and a broad useful power band. 

I've been looking at the larger enduros, been wanting to make certain what I end up would have both low end torque for the rough spots and enough top end to keep from being a traffic impediment on the few hiway miles I need to traverse.

Hate to date myself but my last enduro was a Yamahammer DT400. It served me well but backbreaking rear suspension.

suzuki drz 400 is a great ready to go right off the floor dual sport, good range and plenty of power. Most brands have a comparable model like it also. I rode a drz 400 about 200 miles on dirt roads in a single sitting a few years back and was happy with it. My last bike was a 2015 kx 450f for motocross and that thing was a beast. definetly not for beginner riders

1 hour ago, Healy Arms said:

Really? Strange.  I don't experience this.  Especially on the WR.  It's like a plush Yamaha sofa with wheels and a broad useful power band. 

I think he is talking about the gearing on the motocross bikes when your trying to creep around on tight trails and rocks.  After all, they’re race bikes set up to race at high speeds and rpm’s. Which is an easy change in sprockets and maybe adding a fly wheel weight if you choose that type of bike for trail riding. 

33 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

My last bike was a 2015 kx 450f for motocross and that thing was a beast.

I love mine. It's a rocketship.  I did a few basic desert/mountain mods - one more tooth on the rear sprocket, o-ring chain, bigger gas tank, kickstand, wide billet pegs, etc etc.  The Kawasaki wet clutch has a huge friction range - low speed power modulation is a breeze. 

• Like 1