Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

DIY Gong Stands

It doesn't make me a real hunter or help with the spring draw/hunts, but I'm excited to try out my new gong stand using all recycled stuff around the house. The steel gate's hollow square tubing is sleeved into the 4x6 so it can be set over a stake on the center or two on the sides for additional support. Yea, that's right, I can wheel it around too. Likely the cables/swages and definitely the cheaper carabiners will need to be converted to chains but the setup should get me through a practice session or two without too much trouble. 

20210922_165139.thumb.jpg.aec5fd96b39f24a2434f83949c4e75a7.jpg

Do you think it will hold up and what other stands are CWT using?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

It doesn't make me a real hunter or help with the spring draw/hunts, but I'm excited to try out my new gong stand using all recycled stuff around the house. The steel gate's hollow square tubing is sleeved into the 4x6 so it can be set over a stake on the center or two on the sides for additional support. Yea, that's right, I can wheel it around too. Likely the cables/swages and definitely the cheaper carabiners will need to be converted to chains but the setup should get me through a practice session or two without too much trouble. 

20210922_165139.thumb.jpg.aec5fd96b39f24a2434f83949c4e75a7.jpg

Do you think it will hold up and what other stands are CWT using?

I'm working on some right now

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Similar but I hang gongs with fire hose or inter tubes 

Good call on the tubes, got some new ones on the shelf and now the wife is going to wonder why the stroller tires got fixed randomly lol

33 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Similar but I hang gongs with fire hose or inter tubes 

I’ve seen a few with tire treads.  If you use a LT steel belted tire, cut length wise, you will have 3 or 4 feet of hanging material that can take thousands of misses and still hang in there.

• Like 2

Way cool .that's a way better design than the p.o.s. I bought on line .they used conduit for the frame.in a a frame style configuration and every time you hit the Damm plate it would swing and fall over .just about piss you off enough to make you want to shoot the shoot out of it and throw it in the trash.thanks for some ideas to make it better.

Good for you guys who can afford to shoot or even find the ammo to shoot.

• Like 1

True that, definitely very limited type of shooting I do now.  When it comes to hunting rounds, confirm the zero with 2 or 3 shots(some times more, we all been there with those bad shooters)  then hit plates, or very close at 600 yards a few times and done.  Sucks big time not being able to practice more.  Definitely gonna be a lot of hunters out there that need more practice.  I guess that's the nature of the beast right now🙄.