Shooter McGavin

JR elk hunt 2 weeks away, can’t wait!!!

Well just got back from my kiddos hunt and let me tell you what a hunt/memory maker it was. From day 1 until this morning was non-stop action. We had the 6A/5BS jr hunt and stayed in 6A the entire time.

Day 1: Got some tips from a buddy of mine from their archery bull hunt 2 weeks earlier and it was crazy. The bulls were still bugling so it made it real easy to get started. We got on about 25 cows and a couple of bulls  going crazy. Got close but the forest was too thick to actually send lead. That evening went to the same spot and got on more bugling bulls which had cows. My daughter had a shot but missed, then the sky opened up and poured on us. We high-tailed it back to the truck only to get a text from her good friend who shot one at 5:27. They sent us coordinates so we could lend a hand.  We used OnX but only to find out that the road was nonexistent. We started walking about 6:10, we got to them at 7:00 and it was pitch black. Helped finish quartering and started back, we had 6 pillow cases filled. Could only get 4 of them back to the truck so me and the other dad went back for the other two. The girls were spent so we left them at the truck with 2 pistols just in case. We left the truck at 8:20 and got back to the kill spot at 9:30. Let me tell you walking at night with only headlights and a handheld light you get some effed up thoughts run through your mind. Well we made it back to the truck at 10:15. The ride back to camp never felt so good.

Day 2: Got up around 7 due to the previous night, headed out in two trucks and within 10 minutes see a huge herd cross the road in front of us. We park and go after them. Two hours later no sign of any elk. Kids are griping that they are hungry so we go back empty handed. A buddy of mine who joined us for the hunt recommended we walk out of camp and give it a whirl. As soon as we crest the hill 20 cow go running buy, my son couldn’t retrieve his gun from his scabbard in time to get a shot off. My daughter and I run back down the hill to get in the truck and try to head them off at the road. We hike up the hill and see nothing, but we hear a bugle not to far off. As we head closer my daughter says” dad…elk “, well it was a massive 6x6 bull all alone screaming. It eventually lays down about 40 yds in front of us. We both almost in sync say “ I wish I had a bull tag” she giggles and mutter an expletive. We decide to back out and go around and as we do my daughter says look dad more elk, well the previous herd had doubled back and we’re going back the same direction the came from. A lone cow stops about 110 yds away and that’s all it took. Cow drops and the herd takes off. As we are walking  up we hear another shot, to find out my boy had taken a shot and hit one but couldn’t recover it after about 1 hr track of a tiny blood trail. We all help out and get this cow quartered and back to camp and off to Casey’s for  butchering.

Day 3: Headed back right outside of camp again and got back on the herd again, but couldn’t get a shot off. The boy wanted a change of scenery so we went to Upper Lake Mary to do some fishing. No fish were caught, but it was a beautiful day to drown some worms. Got back to camp and did an evening hunt only to turn up empty handed. I could tell the boy was getting tired and frustrated and time wasn’t on our side for many other excursions.

Day 4: Left again just outside of camp and immediately got on 2 bulls, we followed them only to turn up empty handed. Got back to camp and it was getting really windy so the next 3 hours were playing poker (Omaha, Texas, 3 card and screw your neighbor) the kiddos really liked this. We ended up going into Flagstaff for dinner, this was a nice change of pace. When we got back to camp, just in time it started to rain and rain and later to find out snow all night. This morning was quite a shock, needless to say we weren’t going in this and packed everything up and headed back. Two out of 3 tags filled……not too shabby. 

01B8DA15-0E3B-4EE5-83EB-7F5CCAC0AC70.jpeg

05505EA8-2E1D-4028-AE4C-DC2DEF9C5C95.jpeg

89C99EA5-B5A5-4166-8E4F-7574E8D0EAE7.jpeg

ECF39338-FBCE-4DF8-B3AB-3FD3C498BB84.jpeg

A2E0AC0A-FF3E-46F6-AB72-06012A8D1D65.jpeg

• Like 13

You guys did great.

We did 4 days, saw tons of Elk, (How in the heck do you stop the Elk Train? You know, when they just bowl past you and there's like NOTHING you can do to getem to stop) - and did a few sits.

Took a few shots. None connected. We're going back on Thursday for a last chance.

Wonder how much snow is left..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jazz said:

You guys did great.

We did 4 days, saw tons of Elk, (How in the heck do you stop the Elk Train? You know, when they just bowl past you and there's like NOTHING you can do to getem to stop) - and did a few sits.

Took a few shots. None connected. We're going back on Thursday for a last chance.

Wonder how much snow is left..

Try and find a calve in distress call before you head back up.

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Try and find a calve in distress call before you head back up.

I got one. Didn't work. If you ask me, those cow elk are BAD mothers! 😃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

I got one. Didn't work. If you ask me, those cow elk are BAD mothers! 😃

So do I but for some reason i never tried it.

1 hour ago, eddielasvegas said:

Well done Shooter et al!  Well done.

Eddie

YEH-1.jpeg

YEH-2.jpeg

Thanks for flipping these!!!

• Like 1