Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Conversion cylinder

Pietta's 1858 Remington .44 cap and ball is a tack driver. Wanting a little more diversity I settled on a Taylor 45LC cylinder.

Cost was around $270 with free shipping from Midway. Wasn't expecting $30 tax, my 1st purchase from them. 

I ordered it Thursday late afternoon with a delivery date of 5 Oct. Found a package on my porch Saturday, my cylinder had arrived in less than 48 hours. Like Christmas in September!

Spring pig tag? Yes, please!

0925211820.thumb.jpg.9ac1d0ed197a431b0f8c319ec45d9dba.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like fun .cool looking gun and the only black powder that scares me a little with the chance of several cylinders going off.my dad says just use Crisco and it will be fine .its always good to get those little early Christmas 🎁 at the door.

28 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

Looks like fun .cool looking gun and the only black powder that scares me a little with the chance of several cylinders going off.my dad says just use Crisco and it will be fine .its always good to get those little early Christmas 🎁 at the door.

I use bacon grease so my dog will hunt with me.

• Like 1

To get a chain fire from the front of the cylinder, you're not using the correct projectile size. 

Correct ball size is a couple thousands larger than cylinder. The ball is pressed in with enough force to shave off excess lead.

Another fire hazard is powder residue.

Nipple and cap need to match too. There's videos on YouTube of chainfires but blanks are being used.

My first was a Navy Colt .44. The timing became off and when I fired, it blew to pieces with me just holding the handle and hammer. Replaced it will a Spiller and Burr .36. 😉 

Let us know how you like the conversion cylinder Edge.

On 9/28/2021 at 6:00 AM, zackcarp said:

My first was a Navy Colt .44. The timing became off and when I fired, it blew to pieces with me just holding the handle and hammer. Replaced it will a Spiller and Burr .36. 😉 

Let us know how you like the conversion cylinder Edge.

Bro, I'm assuming your Spiller and Burr is a repro, what make?

I too have a Navy .44 that's out of timing. What a shame, beautiful pistol.

I'll shoot that .45 later today and report back. My factory cowboy loads are only 750FPS where as 950FPS is considered safe in the 1858. Handloads too follow.

6 hours ago, Edge said:

Bro, I'm assuming your Spiller and Burr is a repro, what make?

I too have a Navy .44 that's out of timing. What a shame, beautiful pistol.

I'll shoot that .45 later today and report back. My factory cowboy loads are only 750FPS where as 950FPS is considered safe in the 1858. Handloads too follow.

Yeah, its a Pietta. Picked it up in a pawn shop for 50 bucks about 10 years ago. I keep telling myself I'm going to HAM hunt with it but haven't yet.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 6:18 PM, dsotm said:

Let us know how it works out. I've thought about picking one up for my 1858 or 1860. 

Well it was great shooting the .45 longs. Good lock up, easy in and out of the pistol. Half the empty casings fell out the cylinder with no extraction needed.

The Winchester Cowboy Loads were a little snappier than I expected. Doubtful I'll hand load for over 850fps.

Date your Pietta 1858 before buying a cylinder. If your Pistol is over 20 years old, some gunsmithing maybe needed for proper fit.

• Like 1