Sign in to follow this  
sherman

Looking for recommendations

So my oldest son will be 10 next year and has said he would like to start hunting. I have a gun for him and have not considered what scope. I am thinking a 3-9 or 4-12. I run Leopold scopes  on most of my stuff and I am kinda leaning that way but he is young and will probably be more clumsy so then vortex enters my head. What would you do or what have you done. Thanks Dustin 

2x7 Leupold. It can handle being bumped or dropped. It's not a case of "if" but "when". That is what I put on my son's rifle at that age or you can get a fixed 4X with plenty of eye relief. From what I have heard the Vortex's do not hold up well being bumped.

• Like 1

+1 for leupold. For what it’s worth I went with Tract (already had the scope)

I just went through this with my 11 year old. The biggest issue we had was getting eye relief and stock fit right and how lower priced scopes tend to “blackout” easier. I started with a diamondback and had to change because the eye box was not forgiving at all and he had a hard time using the scope. 

Ring height was the adjustment we made that really helped as well

The warranty game has stepped way up also for most companies. If you chose them for your kids rifle, I doubt a manufacturer wouldn’t help make things right when the accident occurs. 

If you aren’t dialing, Leupold 2x7 or 3x9 will be perfect. They have the same no-fault warranty that Vortex does, you just never have to hear about it. 

• Like 2

My buddy was borrowing 1 of my rifles for a hunt s few years ago. It had a redfield revolution 3x9 on it. Good entry level scope if you can find 1 with the hash mark reticle. 

Anyway, he dropped the rifle and put a big dent in the front bell of the scope. It didn't mess up the glass, but the bell was dented. Redfield is owned by Leupold. I sent it in with request to fix and was 100% truthful on how it happened. They put a new bell end cap on the scope and didn't charge me anything. They called me, I offered to pay. They said no, and I mentioned I would like to buy a flat turret cover to help make scope leveling easier with those scopes. I have 3. The put 2 flat covers in the box and sent it all back with a new neoprene scope cover. 

Customer service was top notch. 

That said, I would look at a Leupold or Burris with a easy hold over reticle. 3x9 would be great. I have shot rifles to 500 yards accurately with the Redfield above in 3x9x40. 

If you go Vortex, don't go cheaper than a Viper series IMO. 

• Like 1