Sign in to follow this  
1uglydude

Kodiak Tent or Spring Bar experience camping in sand?

Plan is to take the family to Rocky Point and camp on the beach for a couple days over fall break.  Our only suitable tent is a 10x14 Kodiak, but I just realized that the manufacture's stakes are not going to hold in the sand.  Those of you familiar with the design know that if you don't have it properly staked out, the tent simply won't stay up.

Does anyone have any practical experience using this style of tent in the sand?  What did you use for stakes?   Springbar has some steel sand stakes, but they are $6 per and likely won't get to me in time.

I've used some 3/8" or 1/2" Rebar cut to 2-3' lengths for a cheap springbar tent stakes while camping at Lake Powell in the sand- seemed to work good.  If you go this route, it's a good idea to put those safety caps on to avoid bare foot trauma (just ask my wife 😲).  Another idea is to buy/make some fabric bags that you can fill with sand and bury; attach some rope from the buried sandbags to the stake loop & that should hold the tent well.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, cobylarsen said:

Another idea is to buy/make some fabric bags that you can fill with sand and bury; attach some rope from the buried sandbags to the stake loop & that should hold the tent well.

Great idea.

My family has camped in our Springbar tent in sandy terrain for years: Glamis, Dumont, Coral Pinks, Paunsaugunt, to name a few places. We went the 1/2” rebar route, works great as they really dig in. Putting something on the exposed stake is advisable, like said above, crashing and tripping on one in the dark is no fun.

I have some rebar if you need it. I think it’s 3/8

14 hours ago, AZJR said:

My family has camped in our Springbar tent in sandy terrain for years: Glamis, Dumont, Coral Pinks, Paunsaugunt, to name a few places. We went the 1/2” rebar route, works great as they really dig in. Putting something on the exposed stake is advisable, like said above, crashing and tripping on one in the dark is no fun.

How long do you make your rebar stakes?

Ok let me know. I have about 4 5’ sections you can have. I’m in Ahwatukee 

12 hours ago, 1uglydude said:

How long do you make your rebar stakes?

Take ED67 up on his 4 pieces at 5'. Cut them in half and you will have 8 - 2.5' stakes. I would think that would be enough augment with your standard stakes for the remaining holes. 

22 hours ago, Ed67 said:

Ok let me know. I have about 4 5’ sections you can have. I’m in Ahwatukee 

I appreciate the offer.  A friend had a bunch of pre-cut 20" with a 4" bend that he gave me...so I think I'm set.

• Like 2

22 inches, a few shorter that have a barbed top, the others just used straight and pounded in at an angle, the metal loops on my Springbar catch on the ridges and hold firm. The tent has been up in wicked winds with no issues. Sorry I didn’t reply to your question early I totally missed it.