Sign in to follow this  
down2hunt

Dumb Question

6 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

If you want your gun to blow up. 7.62=.308 6.5= .264.

So, it is possible? The bullet would actually fit in the barrel of the 6.5 CM?  

I don't think you would get the bolt to close if you put a 308 into a 6.5c... but I suppose with a big enough hammer anything is possible.  

• Like 2

The 7.62mm or .308 diameter bullet is significantly FATTER than the 6.5mm or .264 diameter bullet. You would not be able to shoot a 7.62mm through a 6.5C. If you could even get the bolt closed then any attempt to fire would blow up your rifle. Yes, a very very rookie question but important to be clear on. 

• Like 2

The magazine is a different situation because those are made for a case size and not a bullet size. For example, I have multiple Tikkas in multiple calibers, but several of them use the same magazine (part number). Their 6.5 CM and .308 are two that use the same magazine. This is probably the situation with your friend. If the bullets feed into his magazine properly he should be fine. 

Just make sure the correct bullet goes into the chamber. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, rossislider said:

The magazine is a different situation because those are made for a case size and not a bullet size. For example, I have multiple Tikkas in multiple calibers, but several of them use the same magazine (part number). Their 6.5 CM and .308 are two that use the same magazine. This is probably the situation with your friend. If the bullets feed into his magazine properly he should be fine. 

Just make sure the correct bullet goes into the chamber. 

This ⬆️ ... alot of rifles use the a .308 case size and length and bolt face .... but they are necked down and sized to the caliber of bullet to fit the  barrel of that caliber of rifle .... if that makes sense 

8 hours ago, down2hunt said:

So here is why I'm asking. My friend purchased a AR15 in the 6.5CM but the magazine is 7.62. I think my buddy may have sent a 7.62 by mistake! 

No that’s the one he wants 

Above advice is spot on

The caliber the rifle is chambered for will be stamped on the side. 

Mags have more tolerance since all it does is feed the round not chamber it to go bang.

I have a friend that bought a super sale savage axis in 30.06 and it uses the same mag as the axis in .270

1_50E2kl39S8BRtOWXiGXPjw.thumb.jpeg.bde743dfef463b473221445eea39be9c.jpeg

I don't want to be rude, but you guys need to read a manual.  If he sent a 7.62x51 (.308 Win) down the barrel of a 6.5CM, which I highly doubt, he is lucky to have a face and fingers.

Like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, then setting off a stick of dynamite behind it, all while 6" from your face.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

I don't want to be rude, but you guys need to read a manual.  If he sent a 7.62x51 (.308 Win) down the barrel of a 6.5CM, which I highly doubt, he is lucky to have a face and fingers.

Like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, then setting off a stick of dynamite behind it, all while 6" from your face.

Put a little JB’s on it and it’s just like running an oversized patch, right?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

I don't think anyone suggested he shoot the 7.62x51 down his 6.5CM. I think pretty much everyone on here said essentially the same thing you did. I believe the confusion is that he was sent a magazine wit the rifle designed for 7.62x51 (.308 Win), which uses a case that is comparable to his 6.5 CM. So it is likely that this same magazine is designed for both calibers. But you know more than I likely ever will, so if I am incorrect about the magazine  please let me know. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, down2hunt said:

So here is why I'm asking. My friend purchased a AR15 in the 6.5CM but the magazine is 7.62. I think my buddy may have sent a 7.62 by mistake! 

Should have started with this. Now you confused the entire site apparently. 

• Like 3